pulling grimy marketing tricks right now.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Covid created that monster, we will never see that mass of new reefers (and old) (re)enter the hobby again.
I was talking to a large LFS owner near LAX, he mentioned the golden days of covid are gone. He also mentioned a gratitude for inflation because it helps make ends meet, now that he doesn’t do as much volume.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking to a large LFS owner near LAX, he mentioned the golden days of covid are gone. He also mentioned a gratitude for inflation because it helps make ends meet, now that he doesn’t do as much volume.
Same with my contact on the tank maintenance side. He is doing more large tank breakdowns though (180g +), if that says anything.

Volume is down at the two larger LFS's I visit, but they both have been around forever so they will weather it just fine.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with my contact on the tank maintenance side. He is doing more large tank breakdowns though, if that says anything.

Volume is down at the two larger LFS's I visit, but they both have been around forever so they will weather it just fine.
I guess if we go back to the original OP's concerns. He can just buy used from a tear down.
In fact most of my stuff is GC used or just back ups ppl. bought. All my pumps are ppls back up pumps. I bought one new prime on sale, and a new RS50 LED that I'm selling (EXC w/arm... not a plug :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: ) Most of my stuff running my tanks is from ppl who got out of the hobby within 6 months or clearance.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ryan Chili! Easy 80% on that plush :face-with-hand-over-mouth: for $9.99, cranked out in a sweat shop behind the LED factory probably used as dunnage for the pond crossing.

I had a friend years ago who said to me; "If I ever start wearing checkard pants, shoot me." I think the same thing about many of the swag items, and Ryan Chili fits that criterion for me.

But I am happy for others who must have one. It's a free market world. :cool:

R chili.jpg

ONLY Nine Ninety Nine, your corals will thrive with his recomendations! Wonderful! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

If you can get the plushies at $2, contact me ;)

NYCBOB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing the stock market to a retail product is a stretch. Comparing inflation I probably makes more sense no?
“The annual inflation rate for the United States was 3.7% for the 12 months ended August, according to U.S. Labor Department data published on Sept. 13, 2023”

So inflation is around 4% and we see 20% price hikes. Good for you if your happy paying it I’m just saying it sucks and I wish the announcement was a bit more public as I had no idea it was coming or I would of bought before September 8th.
annual inflation aint 3.7%. its much higher.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get the plushies at $2, contact me ;)
Todays hot tip: Watch for people breaking down their fish rooms now that COVID-19 has been eradicated! :face-with-tears-of-joy: Many items including slightly weathered plushies and unused back-up pumps are flooding the markets.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
annual inflation aint 3.7%. its much higher.
Are you doubting the Labor Departments reporting of these vital metrics for 2022?
Come on man, this is a new election cycle we're moving into. Numbers don't lie. ;):face-with-rolling-eyes:
They just don't care about the truth or the facts we use to create them.
Happy Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_0662.jpeg
This was my last cart. I wanted you to be right. My wife thought the Ryan Chile thing was hilarious lol.
He is right - if you go to the BRS website it says there is free economy shipping for orders over $49. If you look at your order, your stuff was 55.97 - 6.90 = it was just over 49.00 (49.07) - so if you had selected 'free economy shipping', you would have not paid for shipping.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/shipping-delivery

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So OP doesn't want to change title? I'm all for piling on when retailers try to pull fast ones but all I'm seeing is that the July price was never msrp, and even if so it would be a 17% increase (not 20%) which now sounds like 10% relative to prior msrp and they didn't just do it to drop the price for black Friday. Add to it that that they announced an increase ahead of time. So the whole premise for the angst is unfounded but no mea culpa. Buy some black box lights and call it a day.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Its free if your willing to take on the 'slow boat' shipping.

What’s awesome about where I’m at is the free shipping goes UPS and instead of taking it to USPS for final delivery, UPS just keeps it since I have daily deliveries at work. So I get the 3 day for free every time

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 40.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 94 50.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back