pulsing xenia and gsp

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I recently added a pulsing xenia and a few weeks ago some gsp. The gsp seemed like it was doing well but recently just isnt opening. Some of my hermits like to climb on it and pick at it. Not sure if this is whats keeping it from opening, they don't pick at it all the time. The xenia i added a few days ago and the first day it looked great but has been closed up the last day or so. Looks almost white instead of the purple color that it was. I've checked phosphates, Alkalinity, nitrates, and salinity. All are in check. Nitrates are a tad high (around 10-20 ppm). My toadstool and zoas look fine but the gsp and xenia just dont seem happy. I don't have test kits for magnesium, etc.. Just the basic test kits, phosphate, and alk. My tank is a biocube 32. Stock light and pump with a wave maker thats set fairly low (power). I know its hard to say what the issue could be but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Gsp and xenia both like flow or they aren't happy. Try moving them to areas of the tank where there is a high flow rate.

If the purple mat on the gsp starts turning white, it's dying...if it's still purple then they are fine just not happy about something.

Also, both of those corals like dirtier tanks...the nitrates shouldn't be the issue.

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gsp and xenia both like flow or they aren't happy. Try moving them to areas of the tank where there is a high flow rate.

If the purple mat on the gsp starts turning white, it's dying...if it's still purple then they are fine just not happy about something.
The mat is still purple. I'll move it around. The xenia is in a fairly high flow spot. It's fairly new so maybe its just getting use to the tank. Thanks!

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Regarding the xenia...try putting it higher up in the tank. I've found that mine really like higher light levels and high flow (not blasting them directly in front of a pump...but a nice steady wave going over them).

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the xenia...try putting it higher up in the tank. I've found that mine really like higher light levels and high flow (not blasting them directly in front of a pump...but a nice steady wave going over them).
I'll try. it's on its own rock but i do have a shelf rock that i can put it on until it gets going. Thanks

PopDBE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GSP likes it anywhere. Once in a while it gets a flow...seems to be OK

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a small stalk with maybe 3 polyps on it 2 months ago. I have it in Moderate to high light and low flow. When I had it in high flow, the polyps barely opened and did not pulse at all.
2020-07-15 12.54.32.jpg

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have mine in high light and medium - high flow. The polyps are always fully opened and pulsing.

On a side note, xenia will pulse more in areas of low flow than when they are in high flow.

C4230D13-0556-41E8-9539-46317A02439F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the corals doing now? Any improvement?
The GSP is out. Not as out as it was when i first got it but out. The Xenia is not looking great but i'm not giving up on it. My zoas and toadstool seem happy so im not sure what's going on but i'll figure it out, hopefully lol.

garyd18166

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I recently added a pulsing xenia and a few weeks ago some gsp. The gsp seemed like it was doing well but recently just isnt opening. Some of my hermits like to climb on it and pick at it. Not sure if this is whats keeping it from opening, they don't pick at it all the time. The xenia i added a few days ago and the first day it looked great but has been closed up the last day or so. Looks almost white instead of the purple color that it was. I've checked phosphates, Alkalinity, nitrates, and salinity. All are in check. Nitrates are a tad high (around 10-20 ppm). My toadstool and zoas look fine but the gsp and xenia just dont seem happy. I don't have test kits for magnesium, etc.. Just the basic test kits, phosphate, and alk. My tank is a biocube 32. Stock light and pump with a wave maker thats set fairly low (power). I know its hard to say what the issue could be but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite its notoriously explosive growth rate, I know some people just struggle with keeping xenia. Might need to let your tank establish a little more— hope it resolves itself!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back