Pulsing Xenia, can it be controlled?

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Xenia in my sump I run a 200 micron filter pad after my display fuge so it would have to be a magician to make it into my display tank
7c59dc747f77ebc4ec1d8bda74748266.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About what size rubble you using @reef lover ? I have someone that asked if I want some PomPom Xenia, just don't want it to take over and thought an island would work like for GSP

I buy it from bulk reef supply...called reef rubble range in size from a quarter to fist sized. As it grows I just add more rubble...then when I go to the lfs I trade it in...last time I got 190.00 in store credit..went home with a bunch of frags and only paid 30....:rolleyes:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it all depends on how much time and effort you're willing to expend in sculpting it. It can be controlled somewhat, and even look very attractive, if you're diligent about pruning it back regularly. Xenia, both pulsing and nonpulsing varieties, are not as hard to remove intact as some people think; certainly not nearly as hard as removing bubble algae vesicles intact, for example. To remove a stand of xenia intact, you have to identify its base clearly, then put a quality forceps across the base right next to the rock. Hold firmly, give a twist and pull, and it will pop/peel off the rock. Lift it out of the water with the forceps, put it in a cup, and go back in for the next one. The larger the animal, the easier it is to remove; it's the tiny ones that are difficult, as they are very hard to get a good grip on even with a good forceps.

One caveat though is if xenia gets established underneath a forest of acropora, it will be pretty much impossible to remove with doing significant damage to your aquascape.

IMG_4822b.jpg

IMG_4824b.jpg

IMG_4826b.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I wish I could find something that would eat the Xenia that wont eat the Zoas. Xenia are weeds and will spread!! Dont not put these in your tak unless you really love these things they will take over your tank.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I wish I could find something that would eat the Xenia that wont eat the Zoas. Xenia are weeds and will spread!! Dont not put these in your tak unless you really love these things they will take over your tank.
Pyramid Butterflyfish. Mine loved to chew Xenia down to nubbies, but wouldn't touch any other corals. It wouldn't actually eat the entire xenia stalk though; always a bit left, and that regrew when the fish was taken out of the system.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy it from bulk reef supply...called reef rubble range in size from a quarter to fist sized. As it grows I just add more rubble...then when I go to the lfs I trade it in...last time I got 190.00 in store credit..went home with a bunch of frags and only paid 30....:rolleyes:
Whaaaaa!!!!!
I can’t get rid of mine.

They go in the herb garden.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept pulsing xenia for about 6 years. Was my first frag for 8 bucks, only a few stalks. Kept it alive under a single t5 NO bulb until I bought reef lighting and then it started to grow. Never used skimmers or gfo and never had issues with nutrients the stuff is a sponge for nitrates. Once a month Id go into the tank with scissors and cut stalks off to keep them from spreading to far and the little bases left would grow new heads that Id remove the following month. I also used frogspawn, hammers, and elegance corals around to keep them from spreading past their borders. Worked great and was a beautiful mass of movement and nutrient export.

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She made me get some pulsing 3 years ago now it’s stuck in both my tanks... kalk paste wiped out most of the stragglers but there are still a few here and there on some random rocks I am fighting to make go away :(

Chrispaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had it for a few year and never had a problem, it got so big then stopped!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back