Pulsing Xenia, can it be controlled?

Killamanjaro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gf is really wanting to get some pulsing xenia, she always points it out when we go to the lfs. It would be nice to get it considering she is totally supportive of my reefing and quite enjoys it, but everything I've read tells me that it will be a pain as it becomes invasive.

If I was to put it on its own rock on the sand bed, would I be able to keep it contained on just that rock? are there ways to control pulsing xenia? same goes for green star polyps?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On it's own rock, well separated from any other rocks, way out on the sand bed... sure.

Many years ago, I used to grow it on 12" ceramic tiles in my refugeum as nutrient export. Harvested it monthly with a razor blade and an ice scraper ;)

Malkbone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can grow very quickly and spread like wild fire. If you're willing to maintain it and don't have an "island" in the sand to isolate it, put it somewhere you can reach it easily to trim it back when you need too.

Nothing wrong with keeping it in your tank, it won't become free swimming and take over every surface. Aslong as you anticipate it needing to be maintained its very possible to keep.

Same goes for gsp, if you can't isolate it make sure you can get to it easily for trimming

(You can also say screw it, and have a xenia only tank)

Last edited by a moderator:

dilligaf29

ReEfEr
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tell ur gf no. don't be like me and say ok lets get it before u know it bam it looks like my tank
IMG_1685 (2).JPG

OP
OP
Killamanjaro

Killamanjaro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making an island WILL NOT stop it from spreading. It will release polyps into the water column and it will go everywhere.

This is what I’ve read a lot about, apparently it’s not as simple as putting it on an isolated rock in the sand bed. Like pocillopora it releases polyps and ends up in different areas. Is this only when it outgrows it’s isolation island or just randomly?

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it’s worse because a poci needs to spawn in order to spread, meanwhile xiena just needs a polyp to rip off and then it can take ahold of wherever it lands. Once a month I go into my tank and cut any Xenia I see, then it returns, then I cut again. It’s a vicious cycle.

People always ask; if you could change one thing about your system, or give one piece of advice, what would it be?

To NEVER put Xenia in your system. Hahaha

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll do it randomly. I just redid my tank because of it. Started just like you, wife wanted it and I couldn’t say no. After taking all my rock out to chip the rock where it was I can finally say I’m free of it. Wife now says “ why did you get it if it was going to be a plague “ lol

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll do it randomly. I just redid my tank because of it. Started just like you, wife wanted it and I couldn’t say no. After taking all my rock out to chip the rock where it was I can finally say I’m free of it. Wife now says “ why did you get it if it was going to be a plague “ lol

Report back in 30 days and let us know if anything new pops up lol. I freaking hate this stuff with a passion haha

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the looks of a patch of Xenia's pumping away. So here's my tongue in cheek way of controlling my Xenia. My Condylactis Anemone loves to eat it. Mother nature finds a way!;Drool
100_0872.JPG
Yum.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have grown and harvested xenia for the past 8 years...keep it isolated with rubble around it...when it grows out trade it in and add more rubble..

About what size rubble you using @reef lover ? I have someone that asked if I want some PomPom Xenia, just don't want it to take over and thought an island would work like for GSP

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to setup a Xenia-only tank? You get her into the hobby and she gets her favorite coral right off the bat. Setting up like an IM10 with something like this would be pretty awesome. That contrast is beautiful.
tell ur gf no. don't be like me and say ok lets get it before u know it bam it looks like my tank
IMG_1685 (2).JPG

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the long xenia back when I first got in (04) and it didn’t grow quick at all. This Pom Pom is like crabgrass, you need to take out the substrate to get rid of it ;Dead

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back