Pulsing Xenia Coral - beginner

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I seen my first aquascape I have really loved Pulsing Xenia. I just like how they look and behave.

I understand they are more of a weed and also hear (inconclusively) that they may have Palytoxins.

Still thinking about getting some. Anybody do well with them ? If so how do you keep them under control?

Zos4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have xenia In my tank.im not sure about toxins but do yourself a favor and put it on a separate rock that you can remove. I keep mine separate from any other rock so it doesn't touch and spread. When I need to I take it put and trim it down

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have Xenia in my frag tank on its own rock I can remove and rehome it anytime I wish if anyone would actually want it lol but so far I like it. It’s a definitely a conversation piece for people unfamiliar. But it will not end up in my DT

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it wasn't my absolute first coral, it was one of my first corals back in 2006. I've kept quite a few different types of corals since but I still don't get tired of watching it pulse. There are times where it does not do well for people but other then a nutrient poor system, most of the reasons why it may not do well are somewhat mysterious. It's readily available and affordable so if you want it try it out!

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s a great beginner specimen it was my first. Very recently as a matter of fact. And now I have gotten a few unnamed mushrooms. None of which I plan to keep to be honest Just trying my hand at forgiving corals. I say go for it!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum me thinks you had a bad experience lol.
Lol ongoing experience. My smaller tank, my 40b I set up in April. The live rock is already 50% covered in it. It spread to other rocks far away somehow too. A small hitchhiker Xenia that was on a different frag is how it all started..

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My full back drop in my 6 is almost all Xenia but I wanted a full Xenia waving wall for the back ground.

I’ve found they do detach and you will see One piece somewhere random in the tank. Good size piece, like 1 stalk of it.

Seems to take a good week before they can reattach properly. I just pick them up and glue them on another piece of the rock.

Long story short, they work for me in my small aquarium. I would not put them in my main.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mixed feelings. Like @Hemmdog mentioned. Had it in one place and it spread to other rocks on the other side of the tank. Ike the look and it will grow is an understatement. I have to trim mine every month. It’s easy to trim but tedious. But, it does look nice in flow. About the only nice thing I can say. Lol.

p@blo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I seen my first aquascape I have really loved Pulsing Xenia. I just like how they look and behave.

I understand they are more of a weed and also hear (inconclusively) that they may have Palytoxins.

Still thinking about getting some. Anybody do well with them ? If so how do you keep them under control?
Not all xenias are the same. The Giant Bali xenia is none invasive and it grows like a Toadstool on a single stalk. This is an heteroxenia and it will not take over your tank.

3EF972ED-C3E7-4429-8FB1-3CD5E1CC1387.jpeg

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there's lot's of different experiences with it. I like the uniqueness in my tank. I just keep it away from everything to reduce uncontrolled spread as much as possible. I have had far more issues with uncontrolled paly growth. I will NEVER buy another one of those. My frogspawn grows like crazy and is super aggressive to other corals. I'm kinda thinking about locating my xenia near that so that it has a natural limitation to it's growth.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Xenia don’t contain palytoxin. I believe that rumor was started from a palytoxin poisoning in the U.K. in an article. The owner of the tank had palythoas. People pointed the finger at xenia for some reason. Uneducated journalists.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all xenias are the same. The Giant Bali xenia is none invasive and it grows like a Toadstool on a single stalk. This is an heteroxenia and it will not take over your tank.

3EF972ED-C3E7-4429-8FB1-3CD5E1CC1387.jpeg

Now you have me really intrigued :). I am so looking for one.

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Xenia that has taken over a rock I have a sponge on. It is beautiful, and my Clarkii Clown (Coco) made it a home since there are no nems in my DT. It is a bit of an issue because Coco constantly takes food to it. The only issue I have ever had is that when I had a sponge crab, he would trim it and deposit it around the tank. After I re-homed the Sponge Crab, I found some small Xenia's in my sand, but they eventually died off, or were buried deep in my sand bed by my tiger pistol shrimp. For the past 6 months the Xenia has not left the original rock and now just needs a haircut (fragging). I have heard bad things about Waving Hands, but mine never leave their rock now that the sponge crab is gone. Keep in mind that if you have something in your tank that frags your softies, they will probably survive wherever they wind up. Maybe I have just been lucky, but wanted to share my experiences.
Xenia.jpg

By the way, I am also covering the back wall on my nano tank, but with waving hands since they seem to encrust a bit better to get a good carpet.

VictoryBell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm one of those weirdos that can't seem to grow Xenia. The Xenia in my tank has been there for over a year and a half and does not grow much. It's split a bit but has always remained small and not become an out of control monster.

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm one of those weirdos that can't seem to grow Xenia. The Xenia in my tank has been there for over a year and a half and does not grow much. It's split a bit but has always remained small and not become an out of control monster.
I feed a lot a plytoplankton daily so that may be the trick. I turn off my skimmer for a few hours in the mornings and pour in a bunch of plankton (I'm up to 4 oz in my 90gal tank every day), but I have a lot of filter feeders and SPS corals also.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back