Pulsing xenia just released something? Help!

TheStricklins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pulsing xenia have looked awful all day and just released something into the water. Does anyone have any idea what it could've been? Here's what they've looked like since last night
20200508_151811.jpg

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, what are your parameters? Mine looked like that when mag was too low

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new too so probably not a lot of help. However, what I think of with white and cloudy is either spawning, shedding, or chemical warfare. I've never seen my Xenia do any of these though so I don't even know if they do that. The one I would be most worried about is the chemical part. Softies are know to release chemicals to keep other corals away. Are you running any Carbon? If not I would add some. In your picture it almost looks like there is something brown right next to it, is that another coral? The Xenia may be irritated by that and trying to get it to move away.

OP
OP
TheStricklins

TheStricklins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new too so probably not a lot of help. However, what I think of with white and cloudy is either spawning, shedding, or chemical warfare. I've never seen my Xenia do any of these though so I don't even know if they do that. The one I would be most worried about is the chemical part. Softies are know to release chemicals to keep other corals away. Are you running any Carbon? If not I would add some. In your picture it almost looks like there is something brown right next to it, is that another coral? The Xenia may be irritated by that and trying to get it to move away.
It's a snail that's behind them and a crab beside them. None of the other corals In the tank are closing except some new zoas that I just introduced yesterday. Everything else looks great and my parameters are good. I have the xenia isolated at the back. I was afraid it was releasing something that could harm the other corals. There is some carbon in the filter so hopefully that'll help with whatever they released.

OP
OP
TheStricklins

TheStricklins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, what are your parameters? Mine looked like that when mag was too low
I'm not sure what my mag is I dont have a test for that right now I haven't been able to find one anywhere but my ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates around 5, ph 8.2, salinity 1.024, and calcium around 450.

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, when they have been ripped or damaged, they leak fluid/toxins. Does it have enough flow? Maybe move it to a higher flow area

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back