Pulsing Xenia Questions...

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that Xenia are excellent at nutrient control, along the lines of macro algae. I don't have any corals whatsoever, so bear with me.

Are they photosynthetic? Can they survive in a fish only system or will they be eaten? Are they hardy? I also read they take over a tank easily, so to isolate them on a rock by itself.

Any help would be appreciated

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about nutrient control. But they're very hardy along the lines of a pest coral. They can take over your entire tank fairly quick. Do a google search for Xenia nightmares

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are lovely. Mesmerizing to watch. Yes, they can have a downside as stated above.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are photo synthetic.
They may be eaten by some fish, like a file fish maybe interested, probably others.
They are generally hardy in nutrient rich water, they don't thrive in a ulns.
Yes, they can takeover in the right circumstance. I don't think an isolation rock is enough, I've had it pop up on opposite side of the tank.
Here's a thread about using them in a refugium, I've seen several people do it but haven't followed along long term..

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/xenia-refugium.107692/

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are photo synthetic.
They may be eaten by some fish, like a file fish maybe interested, probably others.
They are generally hardy in nutrient rich water, they don't thrive in a ulns.
Yes, they can takeover in the right circumstance. I don't think an isolation rock is enough, I've had it pop up on opposite side of the tank.
Here's a thread about using them in a refugium, I've seen several people do it but haven't followed along long term..

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/xenia-refugium.107692/

Thanks for the info.

Can they carry any parasites or diseases? Basically, do I need to QT it?

I read somewhere that a few stores use them for nutrient control. Supposedly work better than macro. Don't know how true it is.

And in a FOWLR tank I think they'd be a perfect natural addition because they'd have a steady, hefty flow of nutrients and I wouldn't need a separate reactor to maintain . I wouldn't keep them in the sump though because then I'd have to have a reef light down there. Plus they look awesome when pulsing.

Annahra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about nutrient uptake, but anything wet can carry disease. Ideally you should quarantine it away from fish, but if that's not possible at least give it a quick coral dip.

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia are an excellent exporter of nutrients. In fact in the wild Xenia are one of the first to colonize a reef, and once the water is clean they will move on. Moreover, Xenia commonly grow where high concentration of DOMs are present, like drains. I remember learning about them in college 20+ years ago. This is what led me to us them in a refugium. Mother nature uses them to export nutrients so will I.
YES, they will take over a tank if given the right conditions.
Here is a pic from '02 when I thought I could control it in my DT. Sorry for the poor quality pics. This was before I had a digital camera, so they are pics of 35mm pics.
Before:
attachment.php

After: All it took was for a fragment to find a power head to get seeded all over the tank.
attachment.php

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia are an excellent exporter of nutrients. In fact in the wild Xenia are one of the first to colonize a reef, and once the water is clean they will move on. Moreover, Xenia commonly grow where high concentration of DOMs are present, like drains. I remember learning about them in college 20+ years ago. This is what led me to us them in a refugium. Mother nature uses them to export nutrients so will I.
YES, they will take over a tank if given the right conditions.
Here is a pic from '02 when I thought I could control it in my DT. Sorry for the poor quality pics. This was before I had a digital camera, so they are pics of 35mm pics.
Before:
attachment.php

After: All it took was for a fragment to find a power head to get seeded all over the tank.
attachment.php

Well if they thrive in high nutrient water, and don't in ULNS, wouldn't they naturally recede once they suck up the nutrients? Because, while less likely, the same can happen in a sump if they find their way to the return.

Like I said, it would be the only coral in my tank and it's for a purpose. So if it got to other places I don't want, I'll yank em out. I just hope the Foxfaces don't each them.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a pulsing Xenia for a year now. I have heard that there are "some" species that are not crazy fast take over growers. Think I got one of them.

20170217_182624.jpg

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if they thrive in high nutrient water, and don't in ULNS, wouldn't they naturally recede once they suck up the nutrients? Because, while less likely, the same can happen in a sump if they find their way to the return.

Like I said, it would be the only coral in my tank and it's for a purpose. So if it got to other places I don't want, I'll yank em out. I just hope the Foxfaces don't each them.

Well, they are also highly photosynthetic so in an ULNS many will still thrive

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My .02

Do they require nutrient rich environments, IMO no. I run a ULNS and they seem to grow just fine. I will say that with more nutrients they do seem to grow a bit faster, but that's somewhat coral across the board.

When I prune mine I started throwing it in my sump, didn't have the heart to flush the stuff and hardly anyone wants it. Since then they've continued to grow under a simple $7 fuge light.

Isolating them to a rock won't work. This will work for something like GSP, but Xenia release themselves from the rock work and float around until they lodge into another area, continue to grow, then release again and start all over. I constantly have to prune around my system. The worse situation is when they start growing in and around other coral because they will inadvertently kill other coral by simple smothering them.

For a FOWLR system I would definitely consider Xenia and GSP. Who cares if it takes over, there may be some fish that will nip/eat the stuff, and the coral itself is extremely easy to keep. If a bunch dies off, consider it a blessing because it will grow right back soon enough.

As far as quarantining it... I would pop it off the plug (assuming its on one) dip it and throw it in. I would be blown away if something like ich or any other various fish parasites latched onto this thing. Even aptasia or some other hitch hiker like that would have a very hard time latching onto Xenia. The stuff excretes a dense clear mucus when stressed making fragging it to plugs extremely difficult, but to each there own. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

Vince57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My .02

Do they require nutrient rich environments, IMO no. I run a ULNS and they seem to grow just fine. I will say that with more nutrients they do seem to grow a bit faster, but that's somewhat coral across the board.

When I prune mine I started throwing it in my sump, didn't have the heart to flush the stuff and hardly anyone wants it. Since then they've continued to grow under a simple $7 fuge light.

Isolating them to a rock won't work. This will work for something like GSP, but Xenia release themselves from the rock work and float around until they lodge into another area, continue to grow, then release again and start all over. I constantly have to prune around my system. The worse situation is when they start growing in and around other coral because they will inadvertently kill other coral by simple smothering them.

For a FOWLR system I would definitely consider Xenia and GSP. Who cares if it takes over, there may be some fish that will nip/eat the stuff, and the coral itself is extremely easy to keep. If a bunch dies off, consider it a blessing because it will grow right back soon enough.

As far as quarantining it... I would pop it off the plug (assuming its on one) dip it and throw it in. I would be blown away if something like ich or any other various fish parasites latched onto this thing. Even aptasia or some other hitch hiker like that would have a very hard time latching onto Xenia. The stuff excretes a dense clear mucus when stressed making fragging it to plugs extremely difficult, but to each there own. Better safe than sorry I suppose.
Thanks for sharing.
I want a FOWLR tank, and was wondering if I could have a few corals! I'll definitely check out Xenia and GSP corals.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah those are easy corals. Pretty much plug and play. The only real technical problem is if they start to grow in your filtration pipes. They can slow the flow or maybe even clog it and cause a backup/flooding. So just keep an eye on that and enjoy your tank how you would like to see it. There are a few different colors of GSP and xenias. Candy Cane corals are very easy too and very fluffy and vibrant.

IMG_20170811_181402.jpg

Vince57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah those are easy corals. Pretty much plug and play. The only real technical problem is if they start to grow in your filtration pipes. They can slow the flow or maybe even clog it and cause a backup/flooding. So just keep an eye on that and enjoy your tank how you would like to see it. There are a few different colors of GSP and xenias. Candy Cane corals are very easy too and very fluffy and vibrant.

IMG_20170811_181402.jpg
408-Thanks for the 411! I'm definitely excited that get back into this hobby.
There are times, that I ask myself why!
The the answer is simply for me.
I just love Aquariums, ever since I stated with the proverbial Gold fish bowl at the age of five.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
408-Thanks for the 411! I'm definitely excited that get back into this hobby.
There are times, that I ask myself why!
The the answer is simply for me.
I just love Aquariums, ever since I stated with the proverbial Gold fish bowl at the age of five.
Same here! It is all for my enjoyment. Even when the **** hits the fan so to speak. Been throw ich. Had a cracked 40B tank and had to save all my fish, corals, inverts, and bacteria set them up in a 65g. Lost a maxima clam, sea hare, and got rid of my problem fish Randall's Prawn Goby. Picked up that Tail Spotted blenny last week. There is so much I could have given up on, but nope. I realize there will be ups and downs. I love both sides of it and figuring it out. End of the day. There is nothing more I like looking at, being involved in, and chatting about.

Vince57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here! It is all for my enjoyment. Even when the **** hits the fan so to speak. Been throw ich. Had a cracked 40B tank and had to save all my fish, corals, inverts, and bacteria set them up in a 65g. Lost a maxima clam, sea hare, and got rid of my problem fish Randall's Prawn Goby. Picked up that Tail Spotted blenny last week. There is so much I could have given up on, but nope. I realize there will be ups and downs. I love both sides of it and figuring it out. End of the day. There is nothing more I like looking at, being involved in, and chatting about.
Yes, I love chatting about it, and reading about it as well.
I was reading about FOWLR tanks, when another reefer was inquiring about having some corals in this type of setup. I was thinking , if mushrooms would be okay as well as, anemones! Besides Angels and Tangs, I want a couple years of Snowflake Clowns.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs would be a definite no. I have a flame angel and to be honest. I would not go any smaller than 40B foot print. They need ample swimming room. The key thing to understand about these two types of fish are their slime coat. If they are stressed. It will drop and you will start getting all the things in your tank that have been waiting to rare it's ugly face like ich. Ich is pretty much present in every tank. Even people that have taken every precaution have still ended up with it. A tomini tang is the smallest of tangs at 6" max size. They need a 75g+. If you are looking for a great fish and tankmate that I have had in my experience is a Swissguard Basslet. I lost him two months ago to my Randall's Prawn Goby bad attitude. They are pricey at $130 average. They only need a 10g. So a 39g would be great. Here was mine. He was best friends with my clown. I might even pick up a Swalisi Basslet at $50. It is the 3rd version of the Candy Basslet which is $800-1k.
Here was mine

FB_IMG_1476505285803.jpg

Vince57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs would be a definite no. I have a flame angel and to be honest. I would not go any smaller than 40B foot print. They need ample swimming room. The key thing to understand about these two types of fish are their slime coat. If they are stressed. It will drop and you will start getting all the things in your tank that have been waiting to rare it's ugly face like ich. Ich is pretty much present in every tank. Even people that have taken every precaution have still ended up with it. A tomini tang is the smallest of tangs at 6" max size. They need a 75g+. If you are looking for a great fish and tankmate that I have had in my experience is a Swissguard Basslet. I lost him two months ago to my Randall's Prawn Goby bad attitude. They are pricey at $130 average. They only need a 10g. So a 39g would be great. Here was mine. He was best friends with my clown. I might even pick up a Swalisi Basslet at $50. It is the 3rd version of the Candy Basslet which is $800-1k.
Here was mine

FB_IMG_1476505285803.jpg
I've done my research on having Tangs, therefore, I'm looking at no less then 180g setup, but leaning towards the 225g! I figured that would be a nice size for the fish I want.
This is what I like about R2R, lots of articles about specific fish you want and the compatibility, along with what they eat etc,, plus, getting everyone's advice based on their experiences.
It has definitely been a pleasure chatting with you. I thank you for your advice, kind sir.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy has 210 with two beautiful tangs. A powder and yellow. They do have their bickering moments, but they are best friends and are side by side all day.
With that size tank. I would pick up Achilles tang and 2 paired up Regal angels.

p_81724_AchillesTang.jpg

stock-photo-regal-angelfish-in-the-red-sea-egypt-110193242.jpg

Vince57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy has 210 with two beautiful tangs. A powder and yellow. They do have their bickering moments, but they are best friends and are side by side all day.
With that size tank. I would pick up Achilles tang and 2 paired up Regal angels.

p_81724_AchillesTang.jpg

stock-photo-regal-angelfish-in-the-red-sea-egypt-110193242.jpg
As far as Tangs go, it's going to be a tough decision, on which Tangs to get! I definitely want a Powder Blue, Achilles, Gem, and Purple, Yellow Scopas, Hippo,Sailfin,but of course, I can't have them all! A pair of Regal Angels would be awesome. I'm wondering if I can have a pigmy Angel , along with the bigger Angels, cause, I'd love to have a Flame Angel.
Also, the other fishes I want in my tank is a Foxface, and a Copperbanded Butterfly, a six line wrasse, but I understand, they're a bit cra cra.
There will a lot of consideration, when I get this going.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back