Pump and lighting help!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Theolox
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Theolox

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 25, 2021
Messages
88
Reaction score
103
Location
Grand Prairie
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g HQI Biocube that I bought used. The pump that came with it is a Hydroponics 260gph, and it has a loud hum. I am looking for suggestions for a different, quieter, better pump. The rear chamber is 6" wide by 3.5" deep so I have some options. I was thinking of a SICCE Syncra Silent 1.0 or 1.5. I am open to suggestion though. I just want to get rid of the hum.

I have a prime 16HD light on it. I used the settings from the BRS Investigates video for an 18"x18" tank. I currently have it doing sunrise at 8am with a 1hr ramp up. Sunset starts at 5pm with a 1hr ramp down. I am wondering if I would benefit from 2-3 hours of higher cool white mid day for a "high noon" effect.

My tank is 20" wide, 16" deep and 14" high. I am wondering if I need more flow for corals. I am considering a Nero 3 (because I already have the app for the light), but I am open to suggestion.

Right now, I have just added my first fish a few days ago, so it's going to be a bit before I add corals, but I'm just trying to have it all set up well. I want to do softies and LPS for sure. Maybe an SPS near the top of the tank.

Thanks!
 
Definitely go with whatever SICCE you can fit in the return chamber. I have two 1.0 and they are basically dead silent.
 
Definitely go with whatever SICCE you can fit in the return chamber. I have two 1.0 and they are basically dead silent.
Thanks. I am leaning toward them, but some of the DC pumps are attractive too. I am also trying to figure out a wavemaker. I want it to be ready by the time the tank is old enough to put a coral into.
 
Thanks. I am leaning toward them, but some of the DC pumps are attractive too. I am also trying to figure out a wavemaker. I want it to be ready by the time the tank is old enough to put a coral into.

I don't think a DC pump for a small AIO is worth it. But, let me know if you get one, I'm interested to see how you set up the flow rate on it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new