Pump emergency?

Mydoghasfleas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I may have gotten over zealous cleaning my sump. The pump ripped a chunk off of a mr clean magic ereaser pad. The pump seems ok. Sump pump is an Iwaki. It would be a LOT of work to get the pump out for inspection. It looks like it shredded it up. Should I take it all apart for close inspection? Will the scrub pad dissolve into anything bad? I added a pic of the pad, next to a fully intact one to show the size ripped off. A calming day cleaning gone wrong smh

F3460679-93B7-41C5-BAE9-41C75BC05BA7.png

Last edited:

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be concerned that if it’s not jammed now, that something could happen that causes it to break apart and triggers a jam in the future. It’s probably not a bad idea to take the pump out and clean it anyway, if it’s been more than a year or so.

OP
OP
Mydoghasfleas

Mydoghasfleas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the pump appears to be operating fine. No change in flow, and nothing else out of normal operating condition. There is floating particulates in the water. Would the pump shred this type of foam up? Should I do an emergent water change? And should I still take it all apart? Taking it apart would really be a rough day.

OP
OP
Mydoghasfleas

Mydoghasfleas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be concerned that if it’s not jammed now, that something could happen that causes it to break apart and triggers a jam in the future. It’s probably not a bad idea to take the pump out and clean it anyway, if it’s been more than a year or so.
It isn’t due for any cleaning, this was supposed to be an easy and relaxing day doing some simple maintenance. Would a pump simply tear the foam to little bits?

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the pump appears to be operating fine. No change in flow, and nothing else out of normal operating condition. There is floating particulates in the water. Would the pump shred this type of foam up? Should I do an emergent water change? And should I still take it all apart? Taking it apart would really be a rough day.
If you aren’t able to take it apart and are seeing particles, you could put in a filter sock to try to catch them. It’s possible the pump just tore it up, yep.

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would take it apart and make sure everything is clear. It may be a little more work now to save a something bad happening later

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef Box @BlennyTime thank you both for the quick and sound advice. The sponge was in fact intact, and has been retrieved! Just gone use this as a learning experience, and chance to clean the pump early.
Glad it was a quick fix for you. I can say with quite a bit of certainty that most of us have had similar if not the same experiences at some point.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iwaki's are great long lasting pumps, but you really need to have a strainer over the inlet to protect the pump. Harder materials like snail shells will break the impeller.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back