Pump problem on Doc Dc 9410 skimmer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just got this skimmer and the pump is making this really loud whining noise. I had to unplug it. Can someone give me an idea what I should check? I am not that great at pump dissemble. Female reefer here lol.

Thanks for any help.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to have to bite the bullet and take the pump apart...sounds like something is loose.

Video yourself taking it apart for reference if you think you'll have issues putting it back together.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to have to bite the bullet and take the pump apart...sounds like something is loose.

Video yourself taking it apart for reference if you think you'll have issues putting it back together.

Thank you @mcarroll . I managed to fix the problem. The shaft with the wheel ( they call it the drive unit) was not properly seated. I am usually pretty good at figuring out things for myself, I just hate taking apart pumps.

Coming from a Aquamaxx Cones Q3 this skimmer looks very small. but I am impressed with the amount of skimmate it produced just since last night. I wanted a quality skimmer that was sized right for my tank. The Aquamaxx was huge and was super annoying. The bubble plate would fly off the pump randomly and cause the cup to overflow, and it was a pain to clean.

I need to build a better stand for the Tunze. I feel like it would do even better raised up another half inch or so. Right now I am using the lid from the other skimmer with a few pieces of filter pad, but this skimmer tends to lean with the weight of the pump so I need to get that figured out. I have a ton of cheato growing in my fuge that I harvest every two weeks so I figured I don't need to oversize the skimmer so much, and I have a;ways wanted to try a tunze skimmer. So far I like it and if it is truly set and fprget I will love it.

Skimmer.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @mcarroll . I managed to fix the problem.

Awesome! :)

Coming from a Aquamaxx Cones Q3 this skimmer looks very small.

Geometry of a cylinder vs geometry of a cone. ;)

A 17" high cone with an 8" diameter will hold about a gallon.

A 17" high cylinder with an 8" diameter will hold about a gallon and a half.

The cone would have to be 21" tall to hold that much!

(It would only take a 7" cube to hold almost as much.)

I need to build a better stand for the Tunze. I feel like it would do even better raised up another half inch or so.

My pump sticks out of the water about .5-.75" and I have to keep the air dialed back a fair amount, if that makes any kind of reference. ;)

(I'm too lazy to make a stand and it still skims right, but I think I'm in the same boat as you....it would be "better" up a little higher...or at least I might be able to run the air wide-open.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I'm too lazy to make a stand and it still skims right, but I think I'm in the same boat as you....it would be "better" up a little higher...or at least I might be able to run the air wide-open.)

Photos tell the story. This is less then 24 hours with a brand new skimmer.

E7371F8D-5D7C-4E1D-9C8A-724F8020B8E3.jpeg

I have the air turned down quite a bit, maybe 2 ticks away from fully down. I think I better empty that cup. This thing rocks

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both! If the noise returns, let me know, we had some impellers that are a bit off, a loose bushing is equally probable so it may be solved, but if it comes back, just let me know and we send a new impeller.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @rvitko .

The problem seems to be solved. The skimmer is dead silent now except for a slight sound from the air which is pretty normal. This has been the easiest skimmer to adjust. I just set the air control and it has been skimming away. At this point I will be emptying the cup every 2 days. That is fine by me. I have this on a medium bio load 180 and thus far I am happy.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a stand for the skimmer. It is now sitting at about 61/4”. I am able to turn up the air now by quite a bit. @rvitko does this look ok, or does the pump need to be deeper? It seemed to run fine at this depth.
8306FBDE-0646-4CBA-9E23-F677D3ABEC73.jpeg

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, but on the DC model depth is less critical, you can turn back the pump as needed though oxygenation will be better with a lower depth. You don't want to go lower than 5.5" and 6-6.5 is the ideal.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back