Pump that wont Pump

Ammocan

Still Unknown
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all. I have a Sicce 9.0 running on my Red Sea reefer 350 it has a total of three one inch elbows, an apex 1” flow sensor a 1” swing check and maybe 8 inches of straight 1” pipe. The only place it reduces down is at the Red Sea return connection. My apex is showing 512 gph with the pump at full speed. Also the pump is pretty noisy. See the pic of the piping. My skimmer is breaking in and I am organizing the wiring after I changed all of the plumbing in order to get the flow up to the recommended amount. Anyone have any ideas?
9FC31A42-72BE-44C2-AF46-3071088E9B7E.jpeg

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am counting it right I see 8 different places that restrictions are taking place, they are cumulative in nature and that could be a lot of the problem right there. I assume you mean you are not getting the amount of flow you are expecting? Also make sure you factor in head as well when calculating expected flow, each foot will make a pretty sizable difference

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transition between poly and PVC tube, those are actually big restrictions, 2 elbows, whatever flow measuring device is between them (restricts water flow as well), 2 Ts will both cause losses to flow, elbow y, backflow preventer (terrible devices prone to fail plus they restrict a ton), 2 or 3 more restrictions on transition from backflow preventer to bulkheads. In addition I also assume there is another restriction that cant be seen up top where the pump returns to the tank, if this is lockline than add how ever many links you have. Restrictions don't always occur at reductions, any change in the pipe will add some additional resistance whether it is a bend, change in pipe type, or reduction.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you got a bad pump, have you tried taking it apart to make sure the impeller isn't rubbing against the housing?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

@ 23 ft, it pumps just about 0 GPH,

You say you're doing little over 500 GPH which looking at the chart would suggest your head is about 13ft. Granted straight up over the top would have been 4 ft, add 1ft of head for each 90, nearly that for each T, there is also your check valve, etc.

I'd say the pump is spot on.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I actually went back to look for the pump at bulk reef supply and realized you have the 9, so 90% of stuff I posted above applies. The other 10% is the fact that per BRS your outlet is at 1 3/8". I doubt you're running at least 1.25" plumbing plus your flow meter is very restrictive. The biggest complaint with the apex flow meter at 1", the "orifice" is much smaller than 1". So, you're going from 1.25"+ outlet to plumbing that appears to be 1" and flow meter that is less than 1" in diameter.

In addition, this is a DC pump which with the exception of one pump that comes with an orange cord, they do very poorly in any "pressure rated" applications.

OP
OP
Ammocan

Ammocan

Still Unknown
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.....and per specs at https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefer-350-complete-system-73-gal-red-sea.html your return is limited to 5/8" inch; ouch.

Hope this helps.
Thanks allot Xoomercom. Very informative, That’s the biggest thing I was wondering about this tank as far as the return being 5/8”. Is it even possible to flow 600gph plus through a 5/8” return connection? What is your opinion on the amount of flow the return really needs on this tank? I really think the 9.0 is overkill and I am wasting allot of electricity trying run 600gph when it is not possible on this tank.

OP
OP
Ammocan

Ammocan

Still Unknown
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transition between poly and PVC tube, those are actually big restrictions, 2 elbows, whatever flow measuring device is between them (restricts water flow as well), 2 Ts will both cause losses to flow, elbow y, backflow preventer (terrible devices prone to fail plus they restrict a ton), 2 or 3 more restrictions on transition from backflow preventer to bulkheads. In addition I also assume there is another restriction that cant be seen up top where the pump returns to the tank, if this is lockline than add how ever many links you have. Restrictions don't always occur at reductions, any change in the pipe will add some additional resistance whether it is a bend, change in pipe type, or reduction.
I see what you are saying now. The locline itself is dropping it by 80 gph LOL
Do you know how much flow I should have for this 73 gallon display?

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you are saying now. The locline itself is dropping it by 80 gph LOL
Do you know how much flow I should have for this 73 gallon display?
Hard to say, all depends on what you are doing, personally I don't use sump pumps for flow, they have one purpose, keep the water heated and move it so the skimmer can work on fresh water. Flow is all handled by in tank pumps for me and anything from the sump pump is just bonus.

OP
OP
Ammocan

Ammocan

Still Unknown
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say, all depends on what you are doing, personally I don't use sump pumps for flow, they have one purpose, keep the water heated and move it so the skimmer can work on fresh water. Flow is all handled by in tank pumps for me and anything from the sump pump is just bonus.
I see what your saying. So there is no rule of thumb for the amount of water that needs to go through the pump per hour or the number of turnovers through the sump per hour? I will have mainly softies and LPS when I can finally add livestock.
Thanks,

C Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running this pump at 12 feet of head and 6-7 90s. It is under 50% and maxing what the overflow in my marinland 90 gallon will handle. It is the best pressure rates dc pump I have come across. I would guess you have a bad pump.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running this pump at 12 feet of head and 6-7 90s. It is under 50% and maxing what the overflow in my marinland 90 gallon will handle. It is the best pressure rates dc pump I have come across. I would guess you have a bad pump.
What’s the noise level like on the Sicce SDC

OP
OP
Ammocan

Ammocan

Still Unknown
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You running the 9.0?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back