Purchasing 1’ Utube?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a lifereef overflow and it has been great, the problem I have now is that I am not getting the speed I’m looking for from the tank to sump. My varios 6 return pump is basically stuck @ the first level as opposed to being actually fully utilized. The lifereef has a 3/4’ acrylic utube and I was curious if anyone knows of anywhere that would sell a 1’ to match my flow with my pump. Could I make something?

JeffT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a lifereef overflow and it has been great, the problem I have now is that I am not getting the speed I’m looking for from the tank to sump. My varios 6 return pump is basically stuck @ the first level as opposed to being actually fully utilized. The lifereef has a 3/4’ acrylic utube and I was curious if anyone knows of anywhere that would sell a 1’ to match my flow with my pump. Could I make something?
I don't get on R2R too often but during a search I found your comment and wanted to reply.... You cannot increase a prefilter flow by using a larger diameter siphon tube and that in fact may present problems in bubbles getting stuck due to the now lower water velocity in the larger siphon. The prefilter box design is what governs flow rate, noteably the divider in the outer box, or, the distance this divider is placed from the rim of the aquarium. The greater distance from the rim the greater the flow, and then it comes to the bulkhead, then the siphon tube.
What is your reason for wanting more sump flow? Sumps are basically bodies of water and don't do much for filtration other than the mechanical filter media or chemical filter media we put into the sump, and a place for the protein skimmer. Increasing a sump flow does nothing overall for your filtration. If it is in-tank water movement you want use those pumps designed for this and not the sump pump.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back