Purchasing a blue hippo tang with internal parasites

DickCleveland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am currently considering purchasing a hippo tang roughly 2.5-3inches in size from the local store. There are two of them that are new to the store(under a week) that are very cheap. Both are active and I have seen them eat live brine and fresh ogo algae, they are also attempting to graze in the barren tank. I have seen possible flashing from one. The fish both have slightly pinched stomachs which could be just from transport. They also both show visible bumps at the stomach, I believe this to be internal parasites of some sort.(correct me if I am likely wrong on this assumption please)

This store is also not great in how they maintain their saltwater tanks and could likely have other issues ich...etc. My questions is for those of you that have successfully treated internal parasites.

Is it worth it to take the chance to purchase and treat one of these fish? Is there a high chance the fish just dies or is this more routine? Any concerns about an extended QT with this species of fish involving treatment for internal parasites and copper(likely one after the other not at the same time)? Perhaps a recommended treatment and schedule if your well versed?
The store does not have the individuals capable or treatments to improve the fish. I have QT capabilities and a number of common "fish drugs."

Thanks in advance for any assistance and recommendations!

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am currently considering purchasing a hippo tang roughly 2.5-3inches in size from the local store. There are two of them that are new to the store(under a week) that are very cheap. Both are active and I have seen them eat live brine and fresh ogo algae, they are also attempting to graze in the barren tank. I have seen possible flashing from one. The fish both have slightly pinched stomachs which could be just from transport. They also both show visible bumps at the stomach, I believe this to be internal parasites of some sort.(correct me if I am likely wrong on this assumption please)

This store is also not great in how they maintain their saltwater tanks and could likely have other issues ich...etc. My questions is for those of you that have successfully treated internal parasites.

Is it worth it to take the chance to purchase and treat one of these fish? Is there a high chance the fish just dies or is this more routine? Any concerns about an extended QT with this species of fish involving treatment for internal parasites and copper(likely one after the other not at the same time)? Perhaps a recommended treatment and schedule if your well versed?
The store does not have the individuals capable or treatments to improve the fish. I have QT capabilities and a number of common "fish drugs."

Thanks in advance for any assistance and recommendations!
I am not too bright on the parasite matter but if you're talking about a hippo tang with a lumpy stomach, mine and others had a tang like this and I think it's normal, just means they need to poop? I recently had this same concern with my 2 inch hippo tang that had a lumpy stomach, but it smoothed out once he ate more brine shrimp and nori which promoted him to take a dump. Albeit I do know they could carry and are more susceptible to flukes, but I am not well informed enough to know anything about that!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest if they look sick or may have ich or something I would pass. Some of the fish medics on here could help but usually purchasing a sick fish isnt good :( I feel bad for the hippos but unless you have a hospital tank and experience treating fish I wouldnt. Thats just my thoughts on it though. Might wanna see if you can get a video or picture of the fish for the medics to see what you would potentially be dealing with, especially if they seem to thin.

OP
OP
D

DickCleveland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bensoo00- I had asked the LFS employee who cared(the 1)to help fatten them up, they feed live brine and fresh red ogo. I read about the "poop thing" and honestly ignored it but I will continue to monitor them at the store.

Littlefoxx- I do have some medical treatment experience but just not with the tangs. I have seen some conflicting info on their tolerance to copper and QT in general. In the past I have acquired three yellow tangs (now sold) and an orange bristle tooth tang from a much better life that offered to take the QT risk for me for a few bucks(they no longer do this).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back