Purchasing custom tank - TEMPERED OR NON-TEMPERED??

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to issue payment for my overflow, Custom Aquariums is asking me to sign a resolution that starts off with:

“Custom Aquariums realizes that though hole placement is within documented tolerances that the overflow ordered through Modular Marine does not work with the hole placement on the aquarium”......

Although they have agreed to pay for the overflow, I’m a little taken back in their unwillingness to admit fault.

Have any of you heard of a hole tolerance of 1/8” for a custom aquarium?

I responded asking where the “documented tolerance” is because I haven’t seen it nor did I sign anything of the sort.

I've heard of hole tolerances before working with Miracles but Derek told me just to have whatever overflow mailed to them and it would be installed 100% level. I decided to go a different route but I feel tolerances are pretty standard across the board. Not that it's an acceptable excuse by any means on there part.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of hole tolerances before working with Miracles but Derek told me just to have whatever overflow mailed to them and it would be installed 100% level. I decided to go a different route but I feel tolerances are pretty standard across the board. Not that it's an acceptable excuse by any means on there part.

Custom Aquariums never stated any tolerances for drilling holes.

If they had, I could have asked Modular Marine if a 1/8” hole variance would be an issue which I guarantee they would have said yes.

There were well over 100 emails between me, Modular Marine and Custom Aquariums so I definitely would have brought up a 1/8” hole variance.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom Aquariums never stated any tolerances for drilling holes.

If they had, I could have asked Modular Marine if a 1/8” hole variance would be an issue which I guarantee they would have said yes.

There were well over 100 emails between me, Modular Marine and Custom Aquariums so I definitely would have brought up a 1/8” hole variance.

Oh wow, I'll have to dig it up but I'm pretty sure on my Invoice from Miracles it was even printed in bold letters under where it said Custom holes drilled. That's pretty bad if they aren't upfront about something so important.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't necessarily look at it as Custom Aquariums trying to get out of liability. What they're trying to get you to sign is basically a waiver of future liability regarding the issue at hand. Basically "there is nothing wrong with the tank per the manufacturing process tolerances, but in good faith we are going to pay for X to appease customer. Sign this so that after X you do not come at us with Y and Z for the same issue".

Not saying you're being picky or unreasonable, but they offered you their solution (shaved bulkhead threads) and met you on your solution (new overflow). They simply want you to acknowledge they have tried to remedy the situation per your request and you aren't going to follow up with other requests regarding the hole placement.

Assuming the overflow fits with the shaved threads OR a new custom built overflow I think you're fine.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a response after asking them where this documented variance is.

They admitted that I “never received” the document stating their hole tolerances.

Apparently, this disclaimer is on a document tied in with their own brand H2O Overflow and Siphon Stopper, neither of which I purchased.

I am asking them to revise their resolution to accurately reflect the situation.

I cannot sign a document referencing documented tolerances if I was never made aware of these documents.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally started a build thread if anyone is interested.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP asked about Custom Aquariums. I have seen all their videos— personally I want one of their tanks one day. I’d love an 8-footer, kind of shallow.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy. Sorry your going through this. I really hope this shaved bulkhead works and doesnt leak.

It all worked out. Custom Aquariums ended up paying me for the Modular Marine overflow so I can have a new one made that fits perfectly.

No need for the shaved bulkheads however I really see no reason why it would leak from shaving off just the threads on the outside.

Back