Purchasing custom tank - TEMPERED OR NON-TEMPERED??

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of an in wall build.

Tank will be 72L x 28D x 30H

The front and right panels will be exposed (built into the corner of the wall).

I have children and I’m concerned about safety but also want the best viewing experience with ultra clear glass. At this point, I’ve decided on Custom Aquariums (Lifetime Aquariums), unless someone talks me into another builder.

They are recommending non-tempered 5/8 glass for all panels.

Any reason to go with tempered? Also looking for any feedback regarding which builder you all suggest.

Thanks!

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a custom tank built for my 220, which is almost the same dimensions as yours (24D instead). They used at least 5/8" glass, all non tempered, except for the end they drilled, which they insisted on tempering (it was dirt cheap, so I didn't care). I went with Miracles, I have heard they ship to the US.

The budget tanks use tempered so they can save on glass costs, i.e. it strengthens the thinner glass. A lot of the time they just temper the bottom as well.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have children and I’m concerned about safety but also want the best viewing experience with ultra clear glass. At this point, I’ve decided on Custom Aquariums (Lifetime Aquariums), unless someone talks me into another builder.

Any reason to go with tempered? Also looking for any feedback regarding which builder you all suggest.

Thanks!
If you have a panel failure the tempered glass explodes in to tiny granules and the non tempered will leave larget jagged pieces. Either way to will have the contents on the floor or a rapid amount of time. I would suggest main a floor drain under the aquarium and setting up "curbing" to direct the water to the drain.

My choice around children is acrylic due to the higher impact resistance if safety is your main concern. Also acrylic very rarely burst like glass tanks. In most cases a small leak forms on acrylic without catastrophic failure.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

Most custom tanks aren't tempered and typically panels that get drilled for overflows and returns get tempered to increase there strength. Is it necessary, I'm not entirely sure but I went with the manufacturer's recommendations. So my current custom tank has a tempered bottom, back and euro brace. All other star fire panels are non tempered.

Like @sbash above I went with miracles aquariums. They do in fact ship to the US.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a quote from Miracles, spoke with Derek. Very helpful and knowledgeable!

Miracles is recommending 3/4 glass instead of 5/8.

They run about $2000 more than Custom Aquariums.

Worth it?

Did you ask for eurobracing atall? I would wager almost half of that $2000 price difference is in the material thickness. I would also make sure that price is in US or Canadian dollars. My Miracles Aquarium is truly a work of art and I love every square inch of it. There are a couple things I wish I had have known about before I ordered that led to some minor dislikes but that's mostly me being insanely picky and things I never asked about prior to ordering which I can't really blame them for. In the end, I had a couple quotes from builders who were much less than miracles and I'm still very happy I went with them. I hope that helps.

Thicker glass correlates to stronger seams. I don't think Derek would steer you in the wrong direction and he's got your best interests at heart when making that recommendation. Your tank is getting up there height wise and I'm sure he's only trying to build you a tank that will last a very, very long time.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ask for eurobracing atall? I would wager almost half of that $2000 price difference is in the material thickness. I would also make sure that price is in US or Canadian dollars. My Miracles Aquarium is truly a work of art and I love every square inch of it. There are a couple things I wish I had have known about before I ordered that led to some minor dislikes but that's mostly me being insanely picky and things I never asked about prior to ordering which I can't really blame them for. In the end, I had a couple quotes from builders who were much less than miracles and I'm still very happy I went with them. I hope that helps.

Thicker glass correlates to stronger seams. I don't think Derek would steer you in the wrong direction and he's got your best interests at heart when making that recommendation. Your tank is getting up there height wise and I'm sure he's only trying to build you a tank that will last a very, very long time.

All edges machine polished
3/4" glass all around
Starphire front and right end
Tempered back with 2 notches and 2 return holes for 3/4" bulkheads
External overflow with 3 holes for 1" bulkheads
Eurobraced
Armor vertical seams
Internal bottom perimeter bracing
Crating and shipping included
$ 4495.00

Do I really need Eurobracing? I don’t need certain things to look pretty because it will be built into the wall. The top won’t be seen which is why I assumed I would get the standard aluminum rim that Custom Aquariums has.

Also, is more distortion with 3/4 Starphire vs 5/8 Starphire?

Last edited:

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All edges machine polished
3/4" glass all around
Starphire front and right end
Tempered back with 2 notches and 2 return holes for 3/4" bulkheads
External overflow with 3 holes for 1" bulkheads
Eurobraced
Armor vertical seams
Internal bottom perimeter bracing
Crating and shipping included
$ 4495.00

First of all, I'm willing to bet that's Canadian dollars, which equates to $3358.82 US. An unfortunate side effect of our economy's.

Looking at your list I would ask Derek for some photo samples of the Armoured corners. They might be different than the ones that they installed on the back panel of mine but if they are the same you might not like how they look on your one exposed corner.

Are your (I'm guessing external) overflow notches going to have an acrylic plate over them? If so, maybe mention to Derek that you don't want the slots go past the notches. They did this on my tank and although you can't really see it. Once I noticed it it drove me slightly crazy lol

One thing to mention or ask yourself is do you want tooled silicone seams? I never asked for them myself as I thought they would come tooled but they did not come tooled. It was a surprise to me, but it actually worked out better because there was less silicone on the corners of my peninsula which enhances the view. But something to know about and ask for in advance.

Also might I suggest upping your bulkhead sizes a tad for better flow options... Personally for a tank that size I would go with atleast 1.5" Bulkheads for your drains and 1" for your returns (Unless you plan on feeding both the returns with one pump).

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, I'm willing to bet that's Canadian dollars, which equates to $3358.82 US. An unfortunate side effect of our economy's.

Looking at your list I would ask Derek for some photo samples of the Armoured corners. They might be different than the ones that they installed on the back panel of mine but if they are the same you might not like how they look on your one exposed corner.

Are your (I'm guessing external) overflow notches going to have an acrylic plate over them? If so, maybe mention to Derek that you don't want the slots go past the notches. They did this on my tank and although you can't really see it. Once I noticed it it drove me slightly crazy lol

One thing to mention or ask yourself is do you want tooled silicone seams? I never asked for them myself as I thought they would come tooled but they did not come tooled. It was a surprise to me, but it actually worked out better because there was less silicone on the corners of my peninsula which enhances the view. But something to know about and ask for in advance.

Also might I suggest upping your bulkhead sizes a tad for better flow options... Personally for a tank that size I would go with atleast 1.5" Bulkheads for your drains and 1" for your returns (Unless you plan on feeding both the returns with one pump).

Nope, just confirmed and he did quote in US dollars.

The cost is practically double what Custom Aquariums is charging with a couple differences.

CA says that 5/8 glass will work fine.

Miracles says that with power heads and water movement, I need 3/4 to have stronger seams.

CA has a lifetime warranty if the tank is on their stand.

Miracles has a 5 year warranty if it’s on their stand.

CA says that their tanks will last a lifetime.

Miracles says that a tank will last 15 years until the silicone breaks down and you will need to reseal it.

Seems like a stark contrast in information......

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to note, 5/8" glass is actually more expensive than 3/4" due to availability. If they tell you otherwise they are just trying to make money. I'm in commercial construction and have glass storefronts installed all over the country. 5/8" is always more expensive than 3/4". 3/4" is heavier though, so may lead to more in shipping.

Another thing I have read here on the forum. If you are going LED, don't go starfire.

If I were you, I'd go with the company that had been around the longest with the best warranty.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to note, 5/8" glass is actually more expensive than 3/4" due to availability. If they tell you otherwise they are just trying to make money. I'm in commercial construction and have glass storefronts installed all over the country. 5/8" is always more expensive than 3/4". 3/4" is heavier though, so may lead to more in shipping.

Another thing I have read here on the forum. If you are going LED, don't go starfire.

If I were you, I'd go with the company that had been around the longest with the best warranty.[/QU

If I were you, I'd go with the company that had been around the longest with the best warranty.

Every company so far charges more for 3/4. The thicker the glass, the higher the cost.

What does the lighting have to do with Starphire glass?

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering the same thing why not starphire for LED's

I’m guessing it’s nonsense. I don’t see how having less iron content in glass could some how cause a negative effect if you have LEDs.

I bet that if anything, people probably complain about the shimmer effect of LEDs when combined with Starphire glass. Whatever.......

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be in Mike Pelleta's new thread about his new tank & the starfire or some other very well known person. There is info here on R2R about the starfire and the coloration from the LEDs. I'd have to go back & research.

Yes it makes sense that 3/4" should be more expensive than 5/8" but it isn't. Trust me, I do this for a living. 5/8" glass is special order, not common like 1/2" & 3/4". Therefore it is not produced as much & isn't as readily available = "special". We build large retail / commercial buildouts and have customers that require specific glass especially exterior storefronts. I've been provided the exact breakdown of the glass, and 5/8" is more expensive. I don't see how the glass we purchase would be any different than that purchased to build an aquarium.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing it’s nonsense. I don’t see how having less iron content in glass could some how cause a negative effect if you have LEDs.

I bet that if anything, people probably complain about the shimmer effect of LEDs when combined with Starphire glass. Whatever.......

Why would I try to steer the OP in to saving money if it weren't true?

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would I try to steer the OP in to saving money if it weren't true?

I wasn’t saying that you were steering me in the wrong direction. Sorry if it sounded that way. I was referring to whatever you may have heard is probably nonsense.

So many people throw so many opinions out there regarding LEDs. I will definitely check it out if you let me know the source of the info.

Thanks

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be in Mike Pelleta's new thread about his new tank & the starfire or some other very well known person. There is info here on R2R about the starfire and the coloration from the LEDs. I'd have to go back & research.

Yes it makes sense that 3/4" should be more expensive than 5/8" but it isn't. Trust me, I do this for a living. 5/8" glass is special order, not common like 1/2" & 3/4". Therefore it is not produced as much & isn't as readily available = "special". We build large retail / commercial buildouts and have customers that require specific glass especially exterior storefronts. I've been provided the exact breakdown of the glass, and 5/8" is more expensive. I don't see how the glass we purchase would be any different than that purchased to build an aquarium.

I understand what you are saying and I believe you. I just don’t see how I would be able to negotiate with the tank builder when all the various builders are doing the same thing by charging more for 3/4.

I’d appreciate any suggestion in how I would get them to lower the price for the 3/4.

My guess is that they would use the argument that 3/4 is thicker, heavier and more time consuming to work with, therefore it costs more.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the works of planning a new tank. You're a little ahead of me, so will definitely will be following along!

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how much extra they want for 3/4 vs 5/8. Like I mentioned, being heavier it is more to ship, but not that much. If they want $1000 more, that is just over charging. Just called one of my suppliers and the 3/4 vs 5/8 are less than $1 apart in pricing (per sq foot). The 3/4 was a little more, but he said it was solely because of the shipping & handling.

As far as negotiating, tell them 3/4" for same price or you'll go somewhere else.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And on the LED vs starfire, I am pretty sure I read some info on Mike's new build. I made a note because I'll be building a new house soon and want to add a fish room & inwall build. I like LEDs so if I can save on starfire vs not, I would.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back