Purchasing custom tank - TEMPERED OR NON-TEMPERED??

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And on the LED vs starfire, I am pretty sure I read some info on Mike's new build. I made a note because I'll be building a new house soon and want to add a fish room & inwall build. I like LEDs so if I can save on starfire vs not, I would.

It is $277 more for the 3/4 glass.

If you find the article regarding the LEDs and Starphire, please let me know.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not too bad of an upcharge for the 3/4, actual cost is probably less than $60 not not worth breaking a deal over.

I'll look for the article, I might have saved a link in my fish tank build folder on my computer.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quote from Palettas new build: The tank is seven feet long, four feet wide and thirty inches tall, so it holds approximately 500 gallons of water. The glass is 3/4” thick along the sides and is 1” thick on the bottom and the tank is Eurobraced with 3” by ¾” bracing all around the top and ½” bracing all along the bottom of the tank. The double bracing was done to increase the strength of this tank without there being obstructive bracing across the top. Low iron glass was not used as it has been my experience that the use of LED lighting diminishes the advantages it provides and low iron glass is softer than standard glass and as a result it is much more prone to scratch. Almost every tank I have owned or seen that used low iron glass had a scratch in it and at least to me, this scratch took away more from the view than was lost due to the color of the glass.

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/mike-palettas-new-tank-is-up-and-running.646/

My current tank has starfire glass & it too has scratches... didn't know it was softer.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the original question, on an in wall tank where the corners are protected, I like tempered glass (it would be nearly impossible to break)

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the original question, on an in wall tank where the corners are protected, I like tempered glass (it would be nearly impossible to break)

When you say where the corners are protected, what kind of protection? Moulding or “corner Armour”? I’m not familiar with Armour and I’ve yet to see pictures.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant that the corners would be protected by your wall (I think)? I mentioned that only because the edge of a tempered piece of glass is its only weakness. You could hit it with a hammer on the face of the glass and be ok, but the same hit on the corner may make it explode.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant that the corners would be protected by your wall (I think)? I mentioned that only because the edge of a tempered piece of glass is its only weakness. You could hit it with a hammer on the face of the glass and be ok, but the same hit on the corner may make it explode.

Front and right side will be exposed.
69CDE6BC-A8EB-433F-BB64-C938A1983103.jpeg

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who hits a glass tank with a hammer is getting a bath that instant...and some glass for good measure. Kids do not try this at home lol!

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who hits a glass tank with a hammer is getting a bath that instant...and some glass for good measure. Kids do not try this at home lol!
Can confirm hammers and tanks are no bueno, as my toddler decided to try just that very thing. Luckily for me it wasn't filled yet. Ha

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I work as a glass installer and have to disagree. Even 1/8 tempered glass takes a good swing from a hammer before it will break, and I bet his tank is a bit thicker. As for the corner being exposed, I still wouldn't worry about it unless your swinging a bat around or something like that

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can confirm hammers and tanks are no bueno, as my toddler decided to try just that very thing. Luckily for me it wasn't filled yet. Ha

Was it tempered (did it crack or explode)? It would have to be a strong toddler or he hit it right on the edge. I literally THROW 1/4" tempered patio door panels in a metal dumpster from time to time and they only break about half of the time.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use the tunze stainless steel blade addition for the care magnet, that's how I scratched my front starphire panel. The plastic end though, it won't scratch anything, but it also won't take off that caked on algae that can form from a few days of neglect.

Yes, starphire scratches much easier than standard iron glass, just no way around it.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use the tunze stainless steel blade addition for the care magnet, that's how I scratched my front starphire panel. The plastic end though, it won't scratch anything, but it also won't take off that caked on algae that can form from a few days of neglect.

Yes, starphire scratches much easier than standard iron glass, just no way around it.

What do you use to take off the caked on algae?

PirateDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use the plastic and I clean my glass at least every two days if it needs it. Works for me.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back