Tempered glass bad??

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering pros and cons of having a tempered glass tank. I have a 90g mixed reef that id like to move into a 135g tank i have.

The 135 is tempered front back and bottom. I plan to drill the side panel if i end up using it. Ive read some negatives of tempered glass, mainly worried about shattering if rock hit the wall.

Ive had this 135g for months. Trying to sell it to buy a non tempered but no luck. Am i over reacting or is tempered really that bad ?

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tempered glass is supposed to be much stronger than regular glass. However, in the event of a failure with tempered glass, the talk will basically explode. Regular glass will crack and start leaking, giving you more time to try and save as much as you can.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it safe to say the odds of anything happening are about the same. But if something does happen it will be worse with the tempered then the non tempered ?

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it safe to say the odds of anything happening are about the same. But if something does happen it will be worse with the tempered then the non tempered ?

Tempered glass is harder and therefore more durable and less susceptible to impact or scratches. However, a tempered glass failure is a BIG problem. Personally, I would not drill tempered.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you can drill tempered glass
Tempered glass is harder and therefore more durable and less susceptible to impact or scratches. However, a tempered glass failure is a BIG problem. Personally, I would not drill tempered.
His sides aren't tempered, so its safe to drill those.
Given the choice, I'd definitely go regular glass. Odds are tank failure won't happen though. Roll the dice as you may.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Yes i know i cant drill the tempered glass. If i do go with this tank i will be drilling one of the side panels which are not tempered.

Ok thanks. Will keep looking for a non tempered.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work as a glass/window installer. No you cannot drill tempered glass but it is soooo much stronger than nontempered that I would comfortably use it and even prefer it if I were you. Yes if it fails then it will explode into a million pieces but I am very doubtful that will ever happen. Just a quick example, last week I replaced a double pane tempered sliding glass door panel that had been shot out with a 45 caliber bullet and the bullet had broken through the first pane and bounced off of the second. And this was 1/8" thick glass (how thick is your tank?) It's very strong stuff.

Last edited:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would not say that. An event that will crack a non tempered panel might not do anything to a tempered panel.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said, the only weakness tempered glass has is on its edge. If the tempered glass edge is exposed (and not covered by the side glass) then I would be nervous about bumping it while moving furniture or something

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so tempered may not be as bad as i thought. Pretty sure the tempered is 1/4 and the sides 3/8. The edge of the tempered panel is exposed though. I will keep looking for a replacement for another week or 2 but if i dont get one im more comfortable setting this one up now.

my 90g id say is overcrowded and id like to move it into something bigger asap

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep i'd say go for it, just be cautious when discharging firearms near it!

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've ever seen YouTube videos of police trying to smash the side windows out on a car with a baton or flashlight you'll be amazed by how strong tempered glass really is. Many take 3 or 4 good wacks before shattering and that's pretty thin glass too. So the likelihood of something hitting the panel hard enough to shatter is quite slim.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've ever seen YouTube videos of police trying to smash the side windows out on a car with a baton or flashlight you'll be amazed by how strong tempered glass really is. Many take 3 or 4 good wacks before shattering and that's pretty thin glass too. So the likelihood of something hitting the panel hard enough to shatter is quite slim.
I used to work in the glass trade. Yeah, tempered glass is very strong until it's hit with a point source then it explodes very easily. My friend had a small hammer with a point on it in his car made for the sole purpose of breaking the glass in an emergency.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to work in the glass trade. Yeah, tempered glass is very strong until it's hit with a point source then it explodes very easily. My friend had a small hammer with a point on it in his car made for the sole purpose of breaking the glass in an emergency.

Yes something with a point on it is the way to break tempered glass but it still does not break easily at all, you have to work at it. Not to mention his tank is quite a bit thicker (stronger) than a car window

Merv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When making tempered glass aquariums the holes are drilled prior to tempering. You never drill tempered glass

Back