Purchasing custom tank - TEMPERED OR NON-TEMPERED??

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that's the thing that has me wondering. You're getting all this anxiety about 5/8 vs. 3/4 and I'm getting a 360 gallon with 1/2". Dimensions are 96x36x24. My shorter height is why the recommended thickness is only half inch. If I went to 30" tall their guide says 5/8. I went non tempered all around and low iron on three sides.

I did contemplate upgrading to 5/8, but ultimately I just thought to myself, if there is a lifetime guarantee on their work with these lower thicknesses, what is the point on upgrading? Is the tank going to not fail when it otherwise would if I didn't upgrade? If that were the case, CA is doing something wrong.

I think the other poster got it right on the money. Eventually you just gotta trust their recommendations. Just anecdotal, but there aren't many instances of tank panels themselves failing. It's nearly always the seam itself. If you trust them to stick two sheets of glass together and hold several hundred gallons of water, just have to trust their thickness recommendations as well.

Excited for you, though!

Yeah, I’m a worry wart.

So you went 1/2 non tempered on the bottom as well?

The lifetime warranty is only if it’s on their stand, which mine will not be. This is mostly why I’m putting so much thought into everything.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At some point you have to trust the builder. I work in a profession where it’s easy to find information online or get other people’s opinions. People always second guess our professional opinion. I just tell them that we’ve done this a thousand times and have trained, experienced people behind it, so they can either take our word for it, or the word of some guy who knows a guy or some random dude on the internet. If they want to spend extra money to sleep better, no problem. If they want to tell us how to do it, I just tell them we will do whatever you want to your specs but don’t call us when you have a problem, lol.

So anyway the point is, at some point you have to trust the builder. You’re literally trusting them to build a box that if it explodes will cost many tens of thousands in damage, so trusting them is a good start.

As far as the bottom thickness, just about every mass produced tank has a tempered bottom. Whether it’s cheaper for them to use a thinner tempered panel over a thicker non-tempered, I don’t know, but that could explain why. One thing I would definitely consider is if the tank stand is supporting only around the rim or if it has a fully supported bottom like on a rimless tank. If the former I would be much more likely to upgrade the bottom glass. Isn’t going to 3/4” non tempered only about $200 anyway? In that case Id probably do it but I don’t be recall ever hearing about a falling rock breaking a tank either.

From my understanding, the bottom frame is thin on the bottom so the frame as well as the glass rests on the foam. So I’m building my stand to be supported in the center as well as perimeter.

I’m sure they know what they’re doing, however I just want to know how much stronger all the panels are than they need to be.

Since I’m building my own stand (built into wall), I don’t get the lifetime warranty.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put 3/4” plywood on top of the stand, then the foam, and leave the glass as-is. Use that rock that’s available now with a flat bottom to avoid pressure points on the bottom panel, and make sure the aqua scape is secure when you build it, obviously. Apart from that it would be a pretty serious catastrophe to break the bottom panel, especially if you have sand. If going bare bottom you can always put starboard on it.

Higher Thinking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple pictures of a side by side comparison of the non-detailed vs detailed bottom seams.

Looks like they use a ton more silicone on the non-detailed. I’m curious if the non-detailed is a stronger seam because of how much they glob on. Although, it appears they don’t actually scrape or actually touch the non-detailed whereas they have to agitate and scrape the detailed to get it perfect.

Custom Aquariums states that either choice is equally strong/durable.

I chose the detailed version even though I will have a sand bed in case I ever took the sand out.

I’m hoping it will be as strong as the non-detailed version.

BF4E448B-BB9A-4673-AF78-6638B3DCB414.jpeg
E0A8F0C5-2CE1-4A41-890C-53A04605E086.jpeg
Where did you find this info on detailed vs. non? I'm going to reach out and see if it's not too late to go with detailed.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find this info on detailed vs. non? I'm going to reach out and see if it's not too late to go with detailed.

I requested that they send me pictures of the detailed bottom seam. They pulled the side off a packaged up tank ready to ship to take the pictures so that’s where I got those ones. The non-detailed ones I got from akaimal, another member here who got a tank with the non-detailed from them.

I put both pictures in a split side by side.

I wasn’t sure how much sand I was going to use, maybe not enough to cover the ugly silicone or who knows, maybe I’ll have a deep sand bed.

Better that it looks good just in case it isn’t completely buried was my mindset for that decision.

Higher Thinking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I requested that they send me pictures of the detailed bottom seam. They pulled the side off a packaged up tank ready to ship to take the pictures so that’s where I got those ones. The non-detailed ones I got from akaimal, another member here who got a tank with the non-detailed from them.

I wasn’t sure how much sand I was going to use, maybe not enough to cover the ugly silicone or who knows, maybe I’ll have a deep sand bed.

Better that it looks good just in case it isn’t completely buried was my mindset for that decision.
Exactly!

I wish I knew this information early on. I sent a note to the LFS to see if it's too late to get the detailed version. On the one hand, the tank should be done by now so I hope it is too late, but on the other hand, I don't want that nasty blob of silicone for my bare-bottom tank.

Higher Thinking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I got word from CA that they would do the detailed silicone but they would charge $225 for it! I told the LFS that a charge like that seemed ridiculous. Charging for something like that seems like, "Hey, you're only going to get "OK" work unless you pay more, then we'll provide the A game." It seemed weird to charge for better quality. It's not like it's a different, more expensive product.

Anyway, the store went back to them and were able to get them to drop it to $178, but CA wouldn't budge more than that. What did you pay?

My LFS owner was super chill though. He told me they needed an answer right away as it was ready for that silicone application (this change pushed it back an additional week I guess) so he just made a judgement call and told them to go with the detailed. He told me he would eat the cost if I didn't want to pay that. I mean, I don't want to pay for it, but I also want the detailed work. I don't feel good about sticking the store with the cost so looks like I'll be working it some more funds.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Independence Day everyone!

Just an update.

I got a call from Custom Aquariums. Their entire regular clarity 5/8 glass stock is all scratched and they won’t have any in for quite awhile.

They offered to upgrade my bottom and back panel to 3/4 for free and leave the front, right and left panels 5/8 ultra clear.

My question is - won’t this mess up the balance of weight by having the front and back different thicknesses? There would be more weight at the back of the tank, or is this too insignificant to worry about?

Last edited:

Steve Fast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will change the balance though only for carrying it and setting it up. I think the water weight will be significantly more than the tank weight.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will change the balance though only for carrying it and setting it up. I think the water weight will be significantly more than the tank weight.

My worry was that even with it filled with water, it will cause the tank to compress more on the back side due to the increased weight along the backside. They require foam so it seems like it would compress more along the back and cause the tank to sag in the back.

Steve Fast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if my rough weight SWAG is close, the tank with water will weigh ~2000 lbs. my SWAG for the change in weight due to the heavier glass is ~23 lbs so nearly 100 times less.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I received my Custom Aquariums tank.

It all looks good except- THEY DRILLED THE HOLES WRONG!!!

I had it drilled for a Modular Marine overflow. It was supposed to be 12 3/4” on center and they drilled the holes at 12 5/8” OC.

They also drilled one hole 3/32” lower than the other hole which causes the whole overflow to be crooked.

Really unbelievable how they got 2 simple holes wrong.

It simply will not fit on - there is not enough wiggle room.

If you are not familiar with Modular Marine, the weir is supposed to slip into the bulkheads which are mounted to the tank and the exterior box slips on the back of the bulkheads.

I’m waiting to hear back from Custom Aquariums on where we go from here. I sent them a video attempting to fit it on as well as pictures of the measurements.

I was trying to find out if it was possible to heat the weir up and bend it to somehow fit into the bulkheads. Problem is the part that slips into the bulkheads is pvc which passes through the weir and is glued in place.

As for the exterior box, I could probably use a router to shave one of the holes a little larger to make it fit.

I’m so stressed and irritated over this whole thing.

Any ideas to make it work?

7CB857F3-DD1E-4539-BF4B-2CFB2C390A18.jpeg 9B4C740F-A90F-4164-96D0-50D0F1CA8F29.jpeg

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure how you can fix that since the holes are not the same placement. The easiest route short of replacing the tank is probably going to be getting a custom overflow made according to the now existing hole placement.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regret listening to all the advice of going with the Modular Marine. If I would have just gone with the Synergy Shadow, none of this would have happened. Granted it’s Custom Aquariums fault for drilling the holes wrong, they do have the template for the Shadow and offer it as a standard which would have avoided this whole mess and 100 emails back and forth planning the Modular Marine.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I received my Custom Aquariums tank.

It all looks good except- THEY DRILLED THE HOLES WRONG!!!

I had it drilled for a Modular Marine overflow. It was supposed to be 12 3/4” on center and they drilled the holes at 12 5/8” OC.

They also drilled one hole 3/32” lower than the other hole which causes the whole overflow to be crooked.

Really unbelievable how they got 2 simple holes wrong.

It simply will not fit on - there is not enough wiggle room.

If you are not familiar with Modular Marine, the weir is supposed to slip into the bulkheads which are mounted to the tank and the exterior box slips on the back of the bulkheads.

I’m waiting to hear back from Custom Aquariums on where we go from here. I sent them a video attempting to fit it on as well as pictures of the measurements.

I was trying to find out if it was possible to heat the weir up and bend it to somehow fit into the bulkheads. Problem is the part that slips into the bulkheads is pvc which passes through the weir and is glued in place.

As for the exterior box, I could probably use a router to shave one of the holes a little larger to make it fit.

I’m so stressed and irritated over this whole thing.

Any ideas to make it work?

7CB857F3-DD1E-4539-BF4B-2CFB2C390A18.jpeg 9B4C740F-A90F-4164-96D0-50D0F1CA8F29.jpeg

Well first of all... wow that is disappointing to say the least. I'm SO sorry that you have to deal with this disaster.

I wouldn't do anything until you hear back from Custom Aquariums... I would also reach out to Modular marine as well. The odds that the back panel is tempered which means no grinding. BUT Modular Marine might be willing to take a return on the overflow and build something custom to fit the off center holes properly.

I would NOT heat up the overflow as this might compromise the integrity of the plastic.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first of all... wow that is disappointing to say the least. I'm SO sorry that you have to deal with this disaster.

I wouldn't do anything until you hear back from Custom Aquariums... I would also reach out to Modular marine as well. The odds that the back panel is tempered which means no grinding. BUT Modular Marine might be willing to take a return on the overflow and build something custom to fit the off center holes properly.

I would NOT heat up the overflow as this might compromise the integrity of the plastic.

I contacted Modular Marine and the guy said he is going on vacation until mid September.

So this really just sucks and I’m honestly sick of all the emails back and forth. I don’t like not being able to speak on the phone with somebody when planning all these measurements. First time was exhausting and now I have to do it all over again MAYBE sometime next month.

Anyone know of a better overflow than Modular Marine where I can actually speak to someone?

Oh, the back is non-tempered.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regret listening to all the advice of going with the Modular Marine. If I would have just gone with the Synergy Shadow, none of this would have happened. Granted it’s Custom Aquariums fault, they do have the template for the Shadow and offer it as a standard.

As far as I'm concerned Custom Aquariums totally dropped the ball here. It shouldn't matter what overflow you go with. They must drill hundreds if not thousands of holes in glass every year. Screwing up like this to me, is inexcusable. It wouldn't be difficult to make a template for those holes and drill them properly.

Now in saying that, mistakes do happen as no one is totally perfect. I hope custom Aquariums does right by you and comes up with a solution. Might be best for them to work with Modular Marine on a solution and save building a new tank for you.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back