Purchasing new saltwater tank - Including established sand - how to cycle?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cycling has turned into a weird duck nowadays there's about 4 ways to attain the same ends where we used to have only 1 way, and that was dose something for food and wait about a month. the sellers use the other three and now we've taken some of the info and spread it in forums for buyers to use and test for consistency.

When we buy bottled bac and add it (many add the fish right then, because live bac carries their waste easily in a new tanks dilution) those bacteria swirl around in suspension and offset the waste the fish makes in the display, its all mixed together. over just a few days time the bacteria have migrated onto tank surfaces and can withstand a total water change, that's a true classic locked in cycle but even before that lock in *if the bottle bac was alive* the carry ability was just fine even if the bacteria were only suspended in the water from being recently dosed.

we have several seneyes tracking Dr. Tims fish-in cycles nowadays and they're always safe levels, it doesnt harm fish to do it this way. (the harm is disease transfer into the tank by those fish)

The risk from fish in cycling is if the bacteria was dead for some reason, then the fish may be burned if dilution levels are low and feed was increased etc. by and large most bottle bac isn't dead, so folks keep getting away with this mode over and over with fish that look and act just fine because they're not being harmed at all.

this two week trick accounts even for bottle bac that may be compromised. ammonia drops on day ten of a cycling chart and they dont ask what kind of bac we used or if we dosed originally to 2 ppm...its about trading off an agreeable wait time for all the tinkering required to ethically cycle and verify much faster. 99.9% likely the very minute you add bottle bac to that setup the bioload carry begins and never ceases until the tank is dried out one day. we do the two weeks wait for worst case scenarios

and for ample read time in the fish disease forum. a cycle cannot be messed up in any practical arrangement, only disease controls can be

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK there is a lot of misinformation out there. So to be clear, this is how you would cycle my new build

1) New live sand
2) New dry rock
3) Add Dr Tims or Fritz 900
4) Add dry fish flakes (do I only do this once or continuous?)
5) Wait 14 days
6) Do not need to test
7) Add a hardy fish

I was reading that the ammonia turns into nitrite and nitrite turns into nitrate (which completes the cycle) and therefore you do a 50 - 75% water change which will be safe for livestock
If the tank is running and has been for 2 years .
why are you worrying about cycling ?

as long as the rocks are wet it’s already cycled .
Why not set it up and add a fish
Am I missing something ?

OP
OP
kevinyee

kevinyee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is running and has been for 2 years .
why are you worrying about cycling ?

as long as the rocks are wet it’s already cycled .
Why not set it up and add a fish
Am I missing something ?
I am buying a tank that has been running for 2 years. He is taking the rock for his new tank and said I could take the sand. So I will set it up with new dry Marco rock and either his sand or I can buy new sand as well

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am buying a tank that has been running for 2 years. He is taking the rock for his new tank and said I could take the sand. So I will set it up with new dry Marco rock and either his sand or I can buy new sand as well
Go to a lfs and grab a few pieces of live rock .
they will help a lot !

as mentioned above , either rinse the sand or replace it with new .

you don’t want 2 years of buildup in your new set up .

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back