Pure Ghetto Prop Porch

bryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I thought after getting a bit inspired by Rev's prop set-up, I'd show a few pics of my porch....as always, a total work in progress. Enjoy the pics!

1.jpg

Overview of porch coming out the house.

2.jpg

Opposite side overview.

3.jpg

My small growing collection of "keepers"...basically I keep the locals out of this one!

4.jpg

Leathers and softy prop.

5.jpg

Momma deresa and her minion zoanthids.

6.jpg

LPS and some SPS prop.

7.jpg

More zoanthid prop.

8.jpg

Little softy tank set-up for my Mystery wrasse.

9.jpg

Getting ready for sand and frags, just giving some cheato some good light.

10.jpg

Different view with my hopeful black saddle breeders.

Well, thats about it for now, hope to add some more as the funds permit...and the wife allows! :)

Peace, Bryan

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how bout some closeup pics of the green and orange plates? any pics of any corals you are hiding in there?

that first pic is just scary by the looks of it. i mean, arent you the least bit concerned of all your tanks being in a porch, that sticks out from the house? i imagine a "porch" isnt built near as sound as the main house. i wouldnt want to be in there during a hurricane. :(

very cool set up though. i love the big windows...and being able to look outside while you are working. but yeah....kinda scary w/ big windows and flying debris...

OP
OP
bryan

bryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey surfn, I'll try and get some close-ups tomorrow, tough to get at time as most of them sit directly under the halide..but I'll try :) The orange plate I picked up two years ago as the size of a quarter...it was captive bred over in Orlando by Russell of Oceans Blend. It's the size of a coffee cup now and I'm trying to get the courage to attempt to score prop it and see what happens. :)

Those actually are screens, not windows, so it's open air year round. Being here you get a bit numb to the hurricanes. Our house is ultra protected and once I get a 1-2 day notice of impending doom, I'll pull all the livestock in and keep it in a 300 gallon rubbermaid until the storm passes.

It's actually pretty rugged out there. I have 40 outlets split on to 2 x 30amp GFCI, away from sideways rain and such.

Heat was the only issue as this is the first full year on the porch. Just changed the lights to come on and off earlier and all is good.

All that you see there, and more used to be in the house when I was running TLR online. The wife is super happy to have a room back in her house and me on the porch. Still room for a bed out there once she commits me! :)

Peace!

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! That is an amazing set-up!!! I think I need to come down there and just live on your porch drooling over all the gorgeous livestock you have in there!

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sweet stuff Bryan...I like the fact you can kinda hang outside at night with the tanks in the open air......

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only ghetto thing about that porch is the fact I might have to live in the ghetto for a bit to pay for it!!!

Nice!
Laurie

khuzhong

Moved on over
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait, is an orange plate hard to find? there's one at the lfs for $25 i figured if i wait long enuff he'll put it on sale. :)

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
khuzhong said:
wait, is an orange plate hard to find? there's one at the lfs for $25 i figured if i wait long enuff he'll put it on sale. :)

not too hard, but not exactly "common"....just looks good in his pic :)

i have 2 very rare orange plates with green spots in it. that thing was pretty wicked.

OP
OP
bryan

bryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! I'll try and get more pics today when I get home.

Rev - I keep most of the systems separate, and try to keep most systems to between 50-75 gals. Just works for me for a couple of reasons. Easy dosing, and mainly the ability to quickly drain and move/re-do/megaclean/inventory any of the systems in a couple hours max.

Topoff- was mainly automated with RO/DI and float valves, but I'm currently re-doing all of that. So for a while I just add a few gallons a day to all the sumps. I'm out there 3-5 hours a day minimum anyhow, so it's no biggie.

Wild orange plates are rather common, this one is special as it is 100% captive propagated. I also have a soft spot for plates....something about the whole circle thing....zoanthids, shrooms, blastos, plates....I love round! :)

The leathers and softies get PC lighting, and the rest get a wide variety of halides. I get a nice couple hours of morning sun from the East, a couple hours of afternoon sun from the West, and the halides run about 4-5 hours a day...usually off by 2pm to keep heat down as I don't run chillers.

Peace, Bryan

epidemic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got ballz! No top on a tank with a mystery wrasse?!?!?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back