Purging CO2 from tiny fish room

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a linen closet that I converted to an in-wall tank (see my build thread for details).

I have a bathroom ventilation fan in the ceiling that goes through the attic and to the outside. This keeps moisture down which would otherwise be a major issue with water dripping down the walls.

CO2 has become an issue even with this ventilation fan because it’s pulling CO2 from the rest of the house which passes through this little room and then out through the fan.

I had the idea to install an identical fan except instead of pulling air out of the room, it would pull air from the outside into the room through the ceiling next to the other fan that is removing air.

It seems this would eliminate the issue of having to open windows in the rest of the house when the outside temperature is undesirable.

Would this be effective in purging CO2? I understand “fresh air “ isn’t the issue with CO2 reduction. What I need to do is remove the CO2.

Correct me if I’m wrong but it is my understating that a large percentage of CO2 in the air will sink lower than O2.

With the inlet fan and outlet fan being in the ceiling in a tiny room directly above the tank (about 3.5 feet), and pushing an equal amount of volume in/out between the 2 fans, would this be effective at purging CO2 from the room? My concern is that the CO2 will sink and incoming fresh air will get trapped at the ceiling and just go straight out the exhaust fan.

Would this be more effective than running outside air to the skimmer?

image.jpg

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough one.
What if you pulled a small amount of air from outside into the closet and let the humidity flow into the rest of the apartment?
Dispersed, it may not be detrimental. One of the benefits to me of 3 tanks is more humid air in winter.
Maybe just run the skimmer air intake outside as an experiment.
If you pull larger amounts into the closet, the closet temp will approach outside temp.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting.
Like a restaurant hood fan that takes exhaust out, I have to run make up air in my commercial kitchen unless I want to get ill from lack of oxygen.
In essence, this is your idea.
Will it work/help? Yes. But, in your case due to room size, you have to be careful and either baffle the makeup air or run a stronger fan for inlet air than exhaust air or put the inlet air in a different spot.
So if you put both of them next to each other in the ceiling, say, it's not going to be as effective as say directing the makeup air away from the vent and/or installing the vent lower.
The stronger the makeup air is the more effective.
To get very creative you can put them on timers or switches and run them when you want.
My two tanks are in a smallish room downstairs. I have lots of problems in the winter with PH and exhaust from the stove inside.
During the summer I open the windows and bam PH is where I want it to be.
I made a homemade scrubber and it helped a lot. Nothing like fresh air though.
If you run your skimmer air line outside that would work also but it may not be a totally viable option for you.
Just some thoughts.
Hope that helps.
Joel

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just have everyone hold their breath. ;)

I think you’re going to find that a line to the skimmer is going to be more effective. You’re guaranteeing the air exchange in that case. I know from trying to vent server rooms, sometimes airflow in large spaces can get tricky.

I always advise a simple CO2 scrubber first. It’s incredibly efficient, and cheaper than installing vents and fans etc, even counting the media. My first was made from an old gallon water jug... just dremel some thin holes in the bottom for air flow and fill with media. If you get tired of changing media one a month or so, then maybe tackle more complex air exchange.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a linen closet that I converted to an in-wall tank (see my build thread for details).

I have a bathroom ventilation fan in the ceiling that goes through the attic and to the outside. This keeps moisture down which would otherwise be a major issue with water dripping down the walls.

CO2 has become an issue even with this ventilation fan because it’s pulling CO2 from the rest of the house which passes through this little room and then out through the fan.

I had the idea to install an identical fan except instead of pulling air out of the room, it would pull air from the outside into the room through the ceiling next to the other fan that is removing air.

It seems this would eliminate the issue of having to open windows in the rest of the house when the outside temperature is undesirable.

Would this be effective in purging CO2? I understand “fresh air “ isn’t the issue with CO2 reduction. What I need to do is remove the CO2.

Correct me if I’m wrong but it is my understating that a large percentage of CO2 in the air will sink lower than O2.

With the inlet fan and outlet fan being in the ceiling in a tiny room directly above the tank (about 3.5 feet), and pushing an equal amount of volume in/out between the 2 fans, would this be effective at purging CO2 from the room? My concern is that the CO2 will sink and incoming fresh air will get trapped at the ceiling and just go straight out the exhaust fan.

Would this be more effective than running outside air to the skimmer?

image.jpg

That reverse fan will solve the issue. of course, you do not want to pull in excessively hot or cold air.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back