Purigen in a reactor or a refugium?

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 3 chambers in my aio tank. I got the first chamber which is filled to the brim with marine pure spheres, an empty second chamber, and my return pump in my third. I have an extra reactor sitting around and purigen. My question is would it be better to run a refugium or a purigen reactor? I wouldn't be able to run the reactor at night since it's way too bright for me to sleep so I was wondering if It would be better to run purigen in a reactor or a refugium?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda? I'm trying to keep nitrates and organics lower in my tank but steady at the same time
I built a denitrator that works beautifully. It’s in its infancy but it’s reduced my nitrates from 36ppm to 5ppm and I’m currently tweaking the carbon dosage and am maintaining at 5ppm.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't waste money on purigen. Just use high quality carbon. Purigen is basically carbon that only removes tannins and nitrogenous waste (of which has to be urea in this case).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So something like rox or actual carbon dosing

I meant activated carbon (such as rox). I wouldn't really expect carbon or purigen to make a dent on preventing nitrate from forming. If you are wanting something for nitrate and phosphate, a refugium would be my choice

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Purigen is much easier to use than carbon and doesn't need to be replaced as often. It's so small in a reactor that you need really low flow though, I would use it in a high flow area of sump.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've got a little section in my tank (Cade 600) that is designed for media baskets that I pulled out. It's about 4x12x9 and I convereted it into a mini refugium area. It works okay, but with refugiums, bigger is better I believe and even this is pretty tight to be usable.

I don't think that you'll be able to make anything productive in a AIO chamber. As for Purigen, I used it on a smaller tank in the past in a HOB filter. I did like that it can be soaked in bleach and recharged.

Do you have a skimmer? I feel like that would be more productive for lower nutrients. Mechanical>Carbon>Skimmer>Return was how I ran my old tank. There isn't too much you can do with most AIOs as the chambers are pretty small.

I've ditched the biomedia in my tank and seen no change, I won't buy it ever again as I think its uncessary and a waste of money.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a little section in my tank (Cade 600) that is designed for media baskets that I pulled out. It's about 4x12x9 and I convereted it into a mini refugium area. It works okay, but with refugiums, bigger is better I believe and even this is pretty tight to be usable.

I don't think that you'll be able to make anything productive in a AIO chamber. As for Purigen, I used it on a smaller tank in the past in a HOB filter. I did like that it can be soaked in bleach and recharged.

Do you have a skimmer? I feel like that would be more productive for lower nutrients. Mechanical>Carbon>Skimmer>Return was how I ran my old tank. There isn't too much you can do with most AIOs as the chambers are pretty small.

I've ditched the biomedia in my tank and seen no change, I won't buy it ever again as I think its uncessary and a waste of money.
No skimmer but because its only 15g with lower stocking I didn't see the use of having one

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20211220_193840.jpg
    20211220_193840.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 35

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back