Purigen VS Carbon

  • Thread starter Thread starter jft
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jft

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2021
Messages
940
Reaction score
528
Location
pittsburgh
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I TRIED PURIGEN I AM REALLY THINKING it really is not much better than carbon. I used the 100 ml bags and it only seems the outside beads pick up organics and the inner beads run in an aquaclear 110 for 3 months DID not react, in other words still yellow not any brown reaction, I guess tumbling would be better but how do you keep beads in reactor without bypassing the provided sponges thereby spilling into sump or tank?
 
I am not sure that the outter discoloration was not surface growth of algae or mechanical sludge collection as contrasted with absorption or adsorption by the beads?

My issue with both carbon and beads and polyfilters is that I can't really look at them and know that they have done anything specifically, as far as uptake of a target from the water. I just let the soak for a bit, and then throw them away assuming that they have depleted or cloughed up completely.

With DI resin, we can at least measure TDS and know when they are nearing exhaustion. Carbon, Cuprisorb, Purigen, GFO are not as easy to track, especially by color change, ime.
 
Polyfilters allow for profound color changes MUCH BETTER IMO!
 
Polyfilters allow for profound COLOR changes MUCH better in my opinion!
 
I just stick with a quality carbon and run that. For my tank that’s either Rox 0.8 or the Red Sea Reef Spec stuff.
 
Purigen doesn't cause lateral line erosion. That's a big plus for people who keep angels and tangs. It can also be regenerated, which is a cool feature.
 
Polyfilter removes more combined with Chemipure, used it for years.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new