Purigen what

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's everyone's thoughts on this stuff? I've been away from my tank for about 4 months due to covid and work. My nitrates are around 50ppm and I've already lost some corals I have a 40ish gallon tank. I'm getting ready to add a sump which will dilute the nitrates (adding about 25 gallons). But all I have is a petco so they have the small things of purigen but it says for 100 gallons can I use the whole bag still? Would it make it last longer or strip more from the water? If I need to split it what micron bag?

I'm assuming brining nitrates down to fast would also have a negative impact. So I'm planning on a water change plus the sump almost fixing my problem but I just want to have a back up plan. Just a side note phos is around .08 alittle high but I'm not so worried about it

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that Purigen will not pull nitrates out of water. Your best bet for that is water changes. Purigen removes organics before they break down into NO3 and PO4. So, it’s a good preventative, but won’t take care of the issue.

Also, the 100G bag is fine for a 40 gallon. It’s what I use in my 40 breeder.

What were you feeding over that time? I’m curious what raised your nitrates so high without raising phosphates much.

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I couldn't tell you... My wife was in charge of the tank haha and no her fault just hadn't taken much time to teach her what to do. So no water changes in 4 months and had her spot feed corals only once a month.

Reef roids
Ocean nutrition pellets (not the best pellets around lol)
Then frozen mysis and brine shrimp

I also have an algea outbreak so that could be sucking up the phos?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 32 82.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.1%
Back