Purple and Kole tang

Hyjnks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand this isn't the first post about this but my new purple tang seems to be chasing my kole tang (only tangs in the tank of 70 gallon display) and I'm wondering - is this just who they are / is the purple getting settled? / the kole is kinda skittish - guess I'm just trying to get ahead of any potential issues / fighting ...... they are both properly fed/ water parameters good, etc

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Aggression

Aggression refers to negative behavior or attitudes toward another, mainly by applying physical force. Evolution on the other hand, is any process of formation or development of something like habit, trait or character in a population from generation to generation. Evolution can explain why fish exhibit aggression because it is a simple emotion. This emotion increases an individual's survival or reproduction. Aggressive behavior can derive in fish species due to territory, sex specific selection and genetic variation. There is no specific fish species who display invasive behavior. Almost all the fish are aggressive sometimes in their lives depending on their surroundings.

Territorial aggression​

Fish territory, or in another word, defended areas are generally ruled by a single individual or by breeding pairs. The guarded resource may include food, shelter, sexual partner or offspring. While protecting their regions, fish often display aggressive behavior against their intruders. The territory owner strikes at competing fish directly ending in a bite, or a bump. Such aggressive behavior is seen in large juveniles, females and other fish of the same kind from the same area. To better understand this topic, consider the male three-spine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus, as an example. Theo Bakker's paper claims the three-spine stickleback male fish is polygynous—meaning they prefer two or more female mates in a territory. Thus, males are highly aggressive so they have access to females in a particular territory, which also leads to intrasexual selection among males. Intrasexual selection is selection within the same sex. For instance, some male animals compete against one another, physically, for access to females for their kind. So, characters like big tail, sharp teeth or similar weaponry that can be used against other males of the same species as means of mating with females is a selective advantage.

There is a deep relationship between the aggression in fish and the size of the regions owned by them. In a smaller territory, female fish often disappear before mating. Female fish are not bound to mate with a particular fish. If by chance a female get attracted to another male, she can dump the previous partner without any hesitation. In this situation, the ditched male fish become more aggressive to find mates in order to reproduce. Their levels of aggression increase more when the rates of sneaking by rival males go up too. The sneaking males enter the nest and release their own sperm over the eggs of the breeding fish. The rival fish here are using alternative reproduction methods like parental, sneaker or satellite to avoid being hurt by breeding males. On the other hand, the breeding males have higher mating success and endure less looting of the eggs in large territories. Once the eggs have been gathered, the breeding males decrease their territories to protect their offspring from the predators during their parental phase. After the eggs have hatched, the males’ continue to show similar or more invasive behavior due to increased reproductive value of offspring and the awareness of newly hatched young fish against enemies.

Territorial aggression can take place not only due to the pressure of mating, producing offspring, or intruders, but also from light intensity. The term intensity is used to describe the rate at which light spreads over a surface of a given area some distance from a source. At lower light levels, the risk of losing resources like food and mates give rise to aggressive behavior among the fish belonging to a territory. Additionally, for further understanding on how the rate of aggression and distance among neighboring fish varied with nighttime light intensities in the same area, Sveinn Valdimarsson and Neil Metcalfe conducted an experiment with the juveniles of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. At the beginning, S. salar were disclosed to four different nighttime light intensities (0.00, 0.01, 0.50 and 1.00 lx) for 24 hours period. From the result, it was concluded that fish showed less aggression when the intensity of the light was lower. This is because when the level of light was intense, due to darkness of night the territorial fish failed to detect their food or other members in the same area. So they decreased their territory size and remained closer to each other than attacking. This was a good example of evolution of cooperation among the fish. Additionally, as the light intensities of the light increased, those fish could see each other to defend their space. The territory size increases during bright lights. In short, the aggressive behavior of the salmon toward their rivals is highly manipulated by light intensities. Thus, the size of the space that the fish is defending increases or decreases between day and night.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back