Purple Death Palys are brown

eastamherstbias

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2010
Messages
58
Reaction score
9
Location
Williamsville, NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a single polyp of purple death 6 months ago and it was a good looking purple. Now it is a dark brown but it is growing nicely. I am using 2 x 250 HQI MH 20k. Any ideas about bringing it back to a purple?
Purple Death Palys.jpg
 
Put your brown deaths in lower light and they will be as purple as an african violet
 
Hmm what are your Params at? Maybe more flow?

I wonder if vitamin C dosing would help bring the color back?
 
Try placing them in a little more shade, that may also. Also be aware that some people have had experiences with the PD browning out seasonally, then reverting back to its purple color. I wouldn't get carried away with additives.
 
I agree with Wy Renegade. Put them in a little shade. Mine browned out on me when I went fromo T5's to MH's and I moved them to the shade of the toadstool and the purpled back up.
 
yup, purple = low light, maroon/brown = too much light. I just got a frag yesterday :) Can't wait to see how they open up today when I get home!
 
I adjusted the rock work and moved the purple death to a shaded area in the center under a toadstool and moved this cyphastrea into it's place.

web.jpg

web.jpg
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new