Purple Firefish parasite?

TyZac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi today I noticed my Purple Firefish seems to have two strange curly worm things coming out of its right side? Could not find anything like it online what should I do? It’s behaving normally and I’ve had it for about three weeks now.

682C6EE2-43BC-4EED-A878-FC483E4C84EA.jpeg

7FE5593D-14EE-4AEC-8592-0FC02403CD2D.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi today I noticed my Purple Firefish seems to have two strange curly worm things coming out of its right side? Could not find anything like it online what should I do? It’s behaving normally and I’ve had it for about three weeks now.

682C6EE2-43BC-4EED-A878-FC483E4C84EA.jpeg

7FE5593D-14EE-4AEC-8592-0FC02403CD2D.jpeg
Unfortunately, this looks like a parasitic worm.

I recommend giving this a read.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/id-please.314152/

Oh, and Welcome to Reef2Reef!

allisabol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just got my purple fire fish today and I put him in the tank then noticed he had these?! What do I do?? What kind of worm is this?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just got my purple fire fish today and I put him in the tank then noticed he had these?! What do I do?? What kind of worm is this?

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Those are parasitic copepod egg strands. Here is an excerpt from my fish disease book about them:

The purple firefish, Nemateleotris magnifica has a copepod parasite specific to that species – Serpentisaccus magnificae. Described by George Blasiola in 1979, this parasite is seen on newly imported firefish. The body of the parasite is buried in the flank of the fish, behind the gills, either on one or both sides. When the female copepod develops its egg sacs, these emerge from the fish’s skin as tiny coiled strands. Treatment should not be attempted for this parasite, as the adults are buried too deeply into the body of the fish for physical removal to be done safely, and no known chemotherapeutic will eliminate internal crustacean parasites without also harming the host fish. This copepod is thought to have indirect development with a series of planktonic larval stages, so there is no real concern of the eggs hatching and then fully developing and causing reinfection of the host.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back