Purple queen anthis feeding?

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love the purple queens but I tried them at least 2 or 3 times in the past 30 years and no luck. They rank up there with the Hawaiian cleaner in difficulty. They did much better on the last attempt a few years ago but didn't last more than a couple months,

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horrible impulse buy not knowing they were finicky eaters. I tried every frozen food I had, Larry's reef, brine, cope pods and tiger pods. Pretty much never saw them eat. Poor little guys didn't make it a month

20191216_152334.jpg

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 18" deep, the shrimp do not migrate down. I put them in the small funnel above the water and add a little water to push them down.
Those blue stripe pipes, mandarins and ruby red dragonettes were all spawning.

The anthius also only feed from the water column, but a lot of the shrimp escape and the fish eat them right above the feeder or they find them in the water.
thanks Mr. B

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seem them eat minute copepods smaller then a pinhead off the glass. Good luck. Would be better off with a harem of firefish, royal grammas, black cap basslets, or creole wrasses. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have hatched baby brine and the Queens are eating they just don't eat real fast still in quarantine trying to get him going ...better than before

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used @PaulB’s feeder instructions a few years ago when adding my mandarin. Great invention! Just as he said the mandy would pick at the feeder & the other fish would get the shrimp that are released.
You can also see if they will eat PE Calanus as well. It is very fine/tiny.

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes first hatch was practice ...working on the @PaulB's feeder. Just worried the other fish will eat all the food first. These fish are eating but with competition who knows if they will get a chance.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes first hatch was practice ...working on the @PaulB's feeder. Just worried the other fish will eat all the food first. These fish are eating but with competition who knows if they will get a chance.
Try the Calanus in addition to using feeder. See if it works. It is eaten by different finicky fish. Nice small size that Tukas like. Never had them, but I’ve had other picky eaters love the Calanus.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to try PQA, but with anthias, I get them eating cyclops and then flakes with a powerhead in the QT that simulates a current, when I drop the food into the current and it blasts around, they go crazy for it. From lyretails, bimacs, ventralis, bartletts, all have worked for me. I haven't been successful with red saddled and a few others.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back