Purple tang ich/velvet???

krystalstarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased to purple tangs. This is the store is said to quarantine their fish properly before selling. Store has quarantined these to fish for two weeks without adding any additional fish during quarantine.

The store was kind of dark brought the fish home and put them into display tank, where I have much more light and seen they were covered in white dots

Please help I know I should have quarantined before putting in wish I would have

Does this look like ich or velvet?

Also, will they survive and will my other fish get sick?

I have a green bird wrasse
Lenonpeel angel
Flagfin, Angel
Porcupine puffer
Pink anthias
Fairy wrasse

OP
OP
K

krystalstarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_1461.jpeg
    IMG_1461.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 86

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like marine ich to me. The best course would be to put all of the fish into a QT tank and treat with copper. Jay Hemdal's guide on here is the place to start.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two purple tangs . Are they both in the same tank ? If so how big is the tank ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased to purple tangs. This is the store is said to quarantine their fish properly before selling. Store has quarantined these to fish for two weeks without adding any additional fish during quarantine.

The store was kind of dark brought the fish home and put them into display tank, where I have much more light and seen they were covered in white dots

Please help I know I should have quarantined before putting in wish I would have

Does this look like ich or velvet?

Also, will they survive and will my other fish get sick?

I have a green bird wrasse
Lenonpeel angel
Flagfin, Angel
Porcupine puffer
Pink anthias
Fairy wrasse

I agree with the others - this looks like ich. However, there are a lot of spots/scratches on the glass. Can you post a clearer picture and/or a video? Purple tangs can also get mucus plugs that are larger than ich and not as dangerous, and I want to rule that out.

Did the store have both of these tangs in the same tank when you bought them? I always thought they would fight, so I always housed them in different tanks......

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree , two purples should have been a war. The problem is, it appears as stated to be ich and ALL the fish will have to be isolated. With that, yopu will want to establish a separate quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 102 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back