Purple Tang - white face today (and in the past)

reefdiver73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Purple Tang has a white face today and a bit of white on and around his top fin (see photo). We've seen this before and he's gone back to "normal" within a day or two in the past. What could this be? Disease vs just stressed out vs nutrition issue? I just don't know. (We do have a sick clownfish that was taken out of the tank and is in QT being medicated right now for what that's worth. It has been suggested by @Jay Hemdal that we may be fighting brooklynella. Wondering if this is related or a separate issue - or no issue at all.

Link to other post related to our current problems. <- Click this to go to the other post.

PurpleTang.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It could be a normal color pattern for that fish (if it happened before - and went away in a day). Is there any abnormal behavior? When did you take the picture - my purple tang can look many different colors - depending on the time of day the picture is taken - or relative to having just turned on the lights, etc

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @MnFish1. If new to the tank, I would say 'stress' could be a major factor-- but he might settle in in time, if no one is picking on him, and he has a secure cave to escape the tank's hustle-and-bustle. If he is more established, possibly strengthen the diet in some way.

OP
OP
R

reefdiver73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a normal color pattern for that fish (if it happened before - and went away in a day). Is there any abnormal behavior? When did you take the picture - my purple tang can look many different colors - depending on the time of day the picture is taken - or relative to having just turned on the lights, etc

No abnormal behavior. Picture was taken this morning around 10am right before I posted this question. It makes me feel a bit better that you aren't concerned. I'll keep an eye on him and if he goes back to his normal solid purple color within a day or two, I'll stop worrying about it.

I agree with @MnFish1. If new to the tank, I would say 'stress' could be a major factor-- but he might settle in in time, if no one is picking on him, and he has a secure cave to escape the tank's hustle-and-bustle. If he is more established, possibly strengthen the diet in some way.

He's not new to the tank and no one in the tank bullies him. If anything, he's the bully - chases the other tangs around in the tank all the time!

Thank you both for your replies.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Purple Tang has a white face today and a bit of white on and around his top fin (see photo). We've seen this before and he's gone back to "normal" within a day or two in the past. What could this be? Disease vs just stressed out vs nutrition issue? I just don't know. (We do have a sick clownfish that was taken out of the tank and is in QT being medicated right now for what that's worth. It has been suggested by @Jay Hemdal that we may be fighting brooklynella. Wondering if this is related or a separate issue - or no issue at all.

Link to other post related to our current problems. <- Click this to go to the other post.

PurpleTang.jpg
What is the clownfish being treated for? If it is something contagious then the other fish could be at risk.
I agree that purple tangs can vary in their color based on day/night or even mood. However, the blanched area at the top seems to be arising from a white colored dorsal fin spine, can you confirm that?
Jay

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PT goes from dark purple to pale purple at the drop of a hat. Some days he looks sickly ghost like and then he is back to normal.

It doesn't happen often, but at lights on and just before lights off he goes ghost on me.

He's been like that for the 8 months I've had him.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
R

reefdiver73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the clownfish being treated for? If it is something contagious then the other fish could be at risk.
I agree that purple tangs can vary in their color based on day/night or even mood. However, the blanched area at the top seems to be arising from a white colored dorsal fin spine, can you confirm that?
Jay
Unfortunately, the clown died. We are concerned we may have brooklynella in the tank. We've lost several fish. Currently, we are making provisions to move all the fish to a separate QT. Plan is to leave them in QT for 3 months and treat them with the 2021 QT protocol that is posted (by you) on this site + formalin, which we hope will clear up whatever they are all fighting. Interestingly, the Purple Tang looks better today. I don't see any of the white on his fin and his face is closer to purple again.

P.S. You've been helping my wife (tammih) on this subject in a separate thread. No need to hash it out in two places. Please keep chatting with her. You're definitely helping a lot and we appreciate it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back