Purple & Yellow Tangs

ikmail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, yesterday I bought one yellow tang and one purple tang, my tank is 2 months old, unfortunately i don't have a QT system yet so i acclimated the fish and put the in the tank directly, today i noticed that the yellow tang has a white lip, and the purple is having some weird spots above the eyes, please let me know if its normal and what do if its not
thanks

IMG_0517.JPG IMG_0518.JPG IMG_0531.JPG IMG_0532.JPG IMG_0533.JPG IMG_0534.JPG IMG_0535.JPG IMG_0536.JPG IMG_0543.JPG IMG_0546.JPG IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0550.JPG IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0554.JPG

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Tang might be developing some signs of HLLE, but early.

Yellow Tang might have been stung by a coral, or maybe it’s the bacterial infection known as Lympho.

Either way, maintain good water quality, feed a diet rich in Herbivorous greens and nori, they should heal on their own.

OP
OP
ikmail

ikmail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Tang might be developing some signs of HLLE, but early.

Yellow Tang might have been stung by a coral, or maybe it’s the bacterial infection known as Lympho.

Either way, maintain good water quality, feed a diet rich in Herbivorous greens and nori, they should heal on their own.

Thanks Zionas, I returned the fish to the store to treat them, is it contagious?
I have 3 clowns, 1 blue hippo tang and foxface.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea if those fish are healthy or not, unfortunately. But I did see that your tank is 80 gallons and you already have a hippo tang. All three tangs need a tank larger than yours, with hippo tangs and purple tangs needing a *much* larger tank. It's going to be very hard to keep fish healthy in such an undersized tank so I'm glad your LFS will take them back. Did the LFS tell you how they treat fish and/or quarantine them?

There are a ton of great fish for an 80 gallon tank though so don't worry! You have lots off options. Do you have a fish wishlist?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not contagious, I think. They’re not pathogenic infections.

Glad your LFS is willing to treat the fish for you. However, I have to say that you will need to upgrade to a significantly larger tank down the line as you have a Yellow, a Purple, and Hippo Tang. Ideally at least 150 gallons, 5 foot, 150 gallons 6 foot better, at least 180 and 6 foot even better.

OP
OP
ikmail

ikmail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea if those fish are healthy or not, unfortunately. But I did see that your tank is 80 gallons and you already have a hippo tang. All three tangs need a tank larger than yours, with hippo tangs and purple tangs needing a *much* larger tank. It's going to be very hard to keep fish healthy in such an undersized tank so I'm glad your LFS will take them back. Did the LFS tell you how they treat fish and/or quarantine them?

There are a ton of great fish for an 80 gallon tank though so don't worry! You have lots off options. Do you have a fish wishlist?

the hippo is still small (1" -2") the yellow and purple around 6" or less, how long i can keep them before i have to upgrade?
He didnt mention how they treat the fish, but they keep new fish in QT for two weeks unless it need treatment.
my fish wish-list :
  1. Sand Sifting Gobies
  2. clowns (done)
  3. hippo tang (done)
  4. Wrasse
  5. yellow tang (in treatment by LFS)
  6. purple tang (in treatment by LFS)
  7. kole tang
  8. Copperband Butterfly
  9. Angelfish (not an option for now)
I have a foxface, it was not part of the list but i couldn't resist :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not contagious but product of poor husbandry by the fish store. Observe health of other fish in the store and consider shopping elsewhere if others show signs too of poor health

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back