Put yourself in my shoes. What would you do?

Lil Puff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a 20cm (7.9 inches) high fin snapper from an online pet shop as I have no saltwater lfs in my area because I live in outback Australia. The snapper arrived healthy but they sent me a juvenile 8cm one instead of the larger one that I paid $50 extra for. I have nowhere to put the juvenile snapper as the tank the larger one was supposed to be going in a predator tank. I currently have a divider in my 120-gallon predator tank for him to live in temporarily while I figure out what to do with him. I cannot keep the divider in as it stops most of the water from going down the overflow and my other fish have limited space. I can't sell him as there are about 2 other people in my area that have saltwater tanks and they have reefs and the snapper isn't completely reef safe. I can't send him back as I have no idea how to ship fish. I can't drive my fish to a buyer as I have no license because I'm 16 years old. I am not going to risk releasing him as I have a miniatus grouper who is already attacking the snapper through the see-through divider. My parents said I am not allowed to get another fish tank unless it is somehow connected to my tank so we don't need more filtration and it can not be too loud so we would need a silencer on the pipe to not make it gurgle. The two tanks can not make the sump have a chance of overflowing if the power goes out.

So my questions are:
What would you do in my situation?
How do you connect two tanks to one sump?
Can it be done without drilling? - The tank we would be getting for it would not be drilled and we have no idea how to drill a tank.

Thanks,
Seth

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I ordered a 20cm (7.9 inches) high fin snapper from an online pet shop as I have no saltwater lfs in my area because I live in outback Australia. The snapper arrived healthy but they sent me a juvenile 8cm one instead of the larger one that I paid $50 extra for. I have nowhere to put the juvenile snapper as the tank the larger one was supposed to be going in a predator tank. I currently have a divider in my 120-gallon predator tank for him to live in temporarily while I figure out what to do with him. I cannot keep the divider in as it stops most of the water from going down the overflow and my other fish have limited space. I can't sell him as there are about 2 other people in my area that have saltwater tanks and they have reefs and the snapper isn't completely reef safe. I can't send him back as I have no idea how to ship fish. I can't drive my fish to a buyer as I have no license because I'm 16 years old. I am not going to risk releasing him as I have a miniatus grouper who is already attacking the snapper through the see-through divider. My parents said I am not allowed to get another fish tank unless it is somehow connected to my tank so we don't need more filtration and it can not be too loud so we would need a silencer on the pipe to not make it gurgle. The two tanks can not make the sump have a chance of overflowing if the power goes out.

So my questions are:
What would you do in my situation?
How do you connect two tanks to one sump?
Can it be done without drilling? - The tank we would be getting for it would not be drilled and we have no idea how to drill a tank.

Thanks,
Seth
Arrange return as you are stuck with something other than you paid for. For tank connection - add a second return pump and line from sump to second tank with the 2nd tank overflow to same sump. Problem I have with sharing sump is in the event of disease, you HAD the advantage of a running tank and now you have two with disease

OP
OP
Lil Puff

Lil Puff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arrange return as you are stuck with something other than you paid for. For tank connection - add a second return pump and line from sump to second tank with the 2nd tank overflow to same sump. Problem I have with sharing sump is in the event of disease, you HAD the advantage of a running tank and now you have two with disease
Is it possible to do it without an overflow? Just on a normal tank that hasn't been drilled?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back