Putting gfo in filter chamber

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen that some people run gfo in a media bag in their hob filters. I dont have a hob filter, but i do have a hob skimmer. Could i put a media bag with gfo into the outflow chamber of my remora skimmer? It looks perfect for it. The water flows straight up and out.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do it. That is for sure. It would render pretty much useless like that. GFO needs to tumble. It would just turn into a big hardened block in the sock. JMO.
I believe Seachem however makes a product that you could use in a filter sock that would work better for you. PHosguard I believe its called. I would recommend that.

OP
OP
S

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do it. That is for sure. It would render pretty much useless like that. GFO needs to tumble. It would just turn into a big hardened block in the sock. JMO.
I believe Seachem however makes a product that you could use in a filter sock that would work better for you. PHosguard I believe its called. I would recommend that.
I bet it would tumble a bit in there. The flow goes straight up, just like a reactor. Its probably an area of about 3" x 3", with the flow from a mj1200 passing through it. I have read all about the phosguard on here. It has very mixed opinions. It is aluminum based, and I kept reading about concerns of aluminum in the tank causing problems.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. Didn't know about the concerns on phosguard. Well there is no better way to figure out if the GFO will work than putting it in the sock and give it a go. You can let us know how it works for other people thinking about it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 88 33.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.5%
Back