Putting the most popular PAR meters to the test | BRStv Investigates

Which PAR meter would you most likely choose?

• Total voters

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or there's some that have very little to no red, green, or white quite a bit of the day. And some places working with testing out very long periods of just blues.

And I'm not looking for any mythical number or ratio. I look at this as being able to test individual channels and see degradation over time or matching against other fixtures and channels. Leds are vary narrow in their spectrum.

And certainly I don't expect 100%, or anywhere near it, accuracy. But all very good points and something everyone has to decide on which makes it all the more confusing. :) or not and just through up some MH and LED supplements and forget about it. lol

Very true. After reading your thread it is certainly an interesting topic to explore to its fullest. Sure which we had a working 510 on hand to explore the differences more fully.

oh207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! Can't believe the error you found with the LI-COR and the Apogee.

I have the SQ-520 (Computer USB version).
@randyBRS Would you happen to know if the SQ-520 would have the same issues as the MQ-510?

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! Can't believe the error you found with the LI-COR and the Apogee.

I have the SQ-520 (Computer USB version).
@randyBRS Would you happen to know if the SQ-520 would have the same issues as the MQ-510?
It does, I talked to apogee. They are trying to figure out if it's certain batches or all of them.

oh207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does, I talked to apogee. They are trying to figure out if it's certain batches or all of them.

Thanks for the quick response. I got mine just over a year ago when it first came out. I'll keep checking to see if they come up with a solution.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to BRS on their investigation findings within these meters and their errors.

I think that equipment, vendors, companies and the loyalties is another, and people will purchase what they feel comfortable with. I am glad BRS does this for us as a way to help guide our decisions though.

For one, I am more interested in the Discussion Ryan briefed on regarding the DLI studies.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Are you ready to explore differences in some of the most popular PAR meters? Watch as we put them to the test in a head-to-head comparison with our laboratory grade Li-Cor PAR meter!

The results may surprise you!

Well done...The PAR meter suppliers owe you a big THANK YOU for catching this problem...outstanding work. You continued efforts add a great deal to our hobby... Thanks

Rick

Chris Madsen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Chris, from Apogee Instruments here. We’ve investigated the issues raised with our PAR meters in the BRStv video and have posted an announcement on our website (see link below). We wanted to conduct our own testing using precision spectroradiometers, since the reference sensor used in the video was having software problems causing the other meters to look significantly worse than they are. In this process, we found that the Licor meter's software error explained some of the bad numbers in the video, but our testing also uncovered a small manufacturing defect in our 500 series sensors that has been causing low readings when measuring individual bulbs that are in the 400-420 nm range (such as deep-blue and violet "actinic" bulbs). This has been corrected in our sensors going forward, but if you already own an Apogee 500 series PAR meter and want to see if this issue significantly affects the measurements you are making, please see our site for more details. http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/apogee-instruments-500-quantum-series-product-announcement/

Memphis118

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How accurate is the par measurements for on the seneye for the Kessil AP700? I am running the ap700 over a IM30L at 10" above water level, at 25% and par shows only about 110 around mid tank. Seems a bit low, so I am not sure if the Seneye is accurate and I just need to bump up the intensity, or if its just inaccurate.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone acted on the discovery re: Apogee sensor issue and had Apogee replace the sensor? Am wondering if it is worth pursuing?

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Have you noticed any practical difference?

JVU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if BRS ever did follow up testing of the fixed MQ-510 to achieve your original stated goal of comparing the 3 options? I may have missed it, but I can’t find it. Even if you only have results without the extra production costs of making a new video, it would be helpful. Thanks!

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea, but thanks to your necro thread revival I just found out about this issue, and my 520 is one of the affected units, so thank you. It would have been particularly nice if BRS had sent an informational e-mail to those of us who bought one from them between their release and the date Apogee announced a fix.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back