Pvc drain pipes sizing

Byron malta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im building a new tank (170g) with a sump of 35g and will be using a 2500g/hr return pump. I m going to use the bean animal overflow. My only concern is what size plumbing should i use??? Obviously i want the primary drain to keep up with the return pump’s flow. Is there a formula to calculate this?

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

AZRipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really can't go too big on the drain. Go as big as your setup will allow. This will guarantee you have the flexibility for future return pump size changes and that you won't get backed up.

OP
OP
B

Byron malta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if a 1.5 inch bulkhead fits, its better than a 1 inch. Thats what you mean i presume. Right?

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon bean animal supplied with a neptune cor 20 (2000 gph). I tested the pump wide open, and was handling the flow with a 1.25 inch drain. I backed down to half the flow, not because of drain problems, but because of bubbles getting back to the return pump, but...

I also need to say that my 1.25 inch supply splits into two 3/4" locklines, so that undoubtedly has an impact on my flow rate.
Also, the drain was working as designed, but it was louder than I wanted (until I backed it down to half). Based off of what I saw on my tank, if you want to run that many GPH, I would do two overflows with 1.25" drains. I feel like that will be quieter than a single drain with 1.5" drains, but that is just a guess.

The only concern with doing a 1.5 inch drain is the possibility that you may not be able to get the velocity of flow in your siphon to push all of the air out. If that were to happen, the silent operation of the Bean Animal is lost. As an added precaution, you could do the secondary and emergency as a 1.5" drain, but keep the primary at 1.25. - Again, this is just me guessing based off of what I learned on my own aquarium.

OP
OP
B

Byron malta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon bean animal supplied with a neptune cor 20 (2000 gph). I tested the pump wide open, and was handling the flow with a 1.25 inch drain. I backed down to half the flow, not because of drain problems, but because of bubbles getting back to the return pump, but...

I also need to say that my 1.25 inch supply splits into two 3/4" locklines, so that undoubtedly has an impact on my flow rate.
Also, the drain was working as designed, but it was louder than I wanted (until I backed it down to half). Based off of what I saw on my tank, if you want to run that many GPH, I would do two overflows with 1.25" drains. I feel like that will be quieter than a single drain with 1.5" drains, but that is just a guess.

The only concern with doing a 1.5 inch drain is the possibility that you may not be able to get the velocity of flow in your siphon to push all of the air out. If that were to happen, the silent operation of the Bean Animal is lost. As an added precaution, you could do the secondary and emergency as a 1.5" drain, but keep the primary at 1.25. - Again, this is just me guessing based off of what I learned on my own aquarium.
It makes sense. So your primary drain is a 1.25 inch and handles 2000gph ok? If so, i could do the primary and the secondary 1.25, and make the emergency 1.5. I think i should be good

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me clarify. My pump is rated for 2000, but there is certainly some loss from height, fittings, and friction. Still, it took the highest flow rate like a champ. It was just too much velocity through the overflow box and sump to be quiet. A more carefully designed (bigger) overflow box, and a few more baffles would have likely solved my problem.

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I see a 35 gallon sump is in the plan. It may be tough to get silent flow at that volume. I would go bigger if possible. That would give more room to baffle out bubbles and sound.

OP
OP
B

Byron malta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I see a 35 gallon sump is in the plan. It may be tough to get silent flow at that volume. I would go bigger if possible. That would give more room to baffle out bubbles and sound.
I calculated the volume of water flowing through the sump. Sump size is 130*45*50 cm. Its not a small sump i guess

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back