PVC Glue question

Oshanickreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I noticed this morning my return line is compromised and I plan to replace it this afternoon. when i plumbed my tank it was very complex and unnecessary so i plan to simplify it with 3 fittings and call it a day. my question is, what is the minimum time i have to wait for the glue to dry to be safe enough for my corals and fish? i have had an issue in the past where a big acan colony turned to brown jelly instantly after not waiting at all ( i know it was dumb)... but i want to get it back up and running asap without having to take all my dosing lines and heaters out of the sump because the sump is in a bad spot and isnt easily accessible.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Nick

OP
OP
Oshanickreef

Oshanickreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats what i am thinking. i think i will ultimately have to move the dosing lines and heaters but its not a huge deal i guess.... ugh this hobby sometimes

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have safely used replumbed plumbing within 20-30mins after the gluing of the fittings - with both PVC and ABS Glue. You are totally safe after an hour after the glue is applied.

If you read the bottle it most likely says 24 hrs to cure. But you have to remember that that is for PVC plumbing which may carry pressures over 100PSI. Our aquarium plumbing is open ended and there is no pressure in the plumbing other than the physical weight of the water.

So our pumps and flow are not trying to push the fittings apart or stretch the plumbing out under pressure.

I definitely recommend using the PVC CLeaner solvent before the PVC Glue.

Depending how your repair is configured... As much of the gluing you can do with the pipes not being under the aquarium, the less fumes collect in the pipe.

Dave B

OP
OP
Oshanickreef

Oshanickreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have safely used replumbed plumbing within 20-30mins after the gluing of the fittings - with both PVC and ABS Glue. You are totally safe after an hour after the glue is applied.

If you read the bottle it most likely says 24 hrs to cure. But you have to remember that that is for PVC plumbing which may carry pressures over 100PSI. Our aquarium plumbing is open ended and there is no pressure in the plumbing other than the physical weight of the water.

So our pumps and flow are not trying to push the fittings apart or stretch the plumbing out under pressure.

I definitely recommend using the PVC CLeaner solvent before the PVC Glue.

Depending how your repair is configured... As much of the gluing you can do with the pipes not being under the aquarium, the less fumes collect in the pipe.

Dave B
what do you mean by as much of the gluing you can do with the pipes not being under the aquarium?

I can glue all but one outside and let dry but when i connect that contraption to the return line it will be under the tank. so only one fitting.

i def plan to use the pvc cleaner.

thanks everyone for responding so quickly! :)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you mean by as much of the gluing you can do with the pipes not being under the aquarium?

I can glue all but one outside and let dry but when i connect that contraption to the return line it will be under the tank. so only one fitting.

i def plan to use the pvc cleaner.

thanks everyone for responding so quickly! :)
He means… less gluing in the stand or near the tank the better! You won’t have fumes build up to high levels.. one hour joint is better than 5

OP
OP
Oshanickreef

Oshanickreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update:

The replumbing was a pretty big ordeal. My sump and separate fuge/coral storage tank were in a closet. I ended up breaking down the 20 gallon tank which has a frag tank plumbed into it so I had to replumb the drain for that as well. 23 total glued fittings. Waited 2 full hours for the glue to cure. So far so good and no leaks. Relieved and thankful for all the advice.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%

Back