Glue that actually holds?????

jgabbsxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright,
I am either an idiot or every single glue I've tried sucks. I've tried the Polyp Lab, the reef friendly super glue, and some other brand I forgot. As soon as I try to glue a frag to my rock, the glue just doesn't glue. Can anyone suggest a literal idiot proof glue lol....
Thanks!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost any gel super glue works. I typically place a large glob on the plug or(usually) the coral. I then put it where I want it and smooosh it around a bit, then hold it in place for about a minute. Typically works well. I've had them fall off before. Not sure if its the glue, or something on the rock face, or the surface area not big enough.

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the BRS thick gel glue. As some others have said, drying the bottom of the plug/whatever you are putting glue on will help. Once submerged, the glue should form a bubble with a very very thin solid membrane - it should be almost malleable to your touch, but too much pressure will "burst" the bubble and ooze out glue.

When you make contact with the rock/surface you want to glue it with, push down and TWIST - the twisting motion will "break" the thin solid layer of glue and cause the liquid to ooze/spin out in between the frag plug in the rock. Hold in place for 10-30 seconds, slowly try to let go and see if it is sticking. May take a few tries but you'll get the hang of it.

Yes, you'll most likely get glue all over your hands/fingers the first few times. I use nitrile gloves now.
Yes, if you use too much glue it will be a giant mess when you push/twist - you'll learn as you go.
Yes, the glue is fine in the tank even if there's a ton extra. In my tank, coralline starts to grow over it a week or two after it turns solid.

I've accidentally glued a lot of things - coral polyps, fish mouths (this was the scariest by far), torch skeletons to their tentacles. Nothing has died yet! It generally cures and falls off within a few days.

Kyan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find BRS super glue better IME.
BRS Supper Glue.jpg

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Persevere. You will find your own way of doing it that works for you. Loads of opinions on this out there and even some videos. I collected a little from them all. Not one alone worked for me. I like the glue, putty, glue sandwich approach. Worst I have tried yet was Seatak and was a massive disappointment.

ihatetomatoclowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright,
I am either an idiot or every single glue I've tried sucks. I've tried the Polyp Lab, the reef friendly super glue, and some other brand I forgot. As soon as I try to glue a frag to my rock, the glue just doesn't glue. Can anyone suggest a literal idiot proof glue lol....
Thanks!
gorilla glue gel

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for adhering to non-flat surfaces, I highly recommend using a small ball of epoxy putty and add dabs of superglue gel to the surfaces of the putty that will contact rock or frag. You can smoosh it down into place, hold it there for a few seconds, and you should be good to go. These are the products I use with success:

Reef-safe epoxy:

superglue gels:

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright,
Thanks!
Assuming you're referring to stoney corals, any thick CA works for me. Just make sure both surfaces are dry. The alkalinity in SW tends to help it cure quickly.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My approach is a little different than others.
I never glue frags right onto my rockwork - main reason being to be able to easily remove them when needed, wether it be for fragging large colonies, dipping or just to move to a different location.

The way I mount them instead is by gluing them to a small rock, if the coral is encrusting - roughly a rock the size I expect it to encrust.

Then I take this small rock and glue it to my rockwork, first stage with super glue, and then second stage with Aqua Mend.

This allows me to more easily and securely glue corals to my rockwork as well as when necessary, to take a knife and carefully separate between the small rock and my rockwork without much damage to the colony.

Worst I have tried yet was Seatak and was a massive disappointment.
I know, right?
It literally didn’t want to stick to anything but my fingers.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Persevere. You will find your own way of doing it that works for you. Loads of opinions on this out there and even some videos. I collected a little from them all. Not one alone worked for me. I like the glue, putty, glue sandwich approach. Worst I have tried yet was Seatak and was a massive disappointment.
Seatak is junk. Like @DanyL said it will only stick to your fingers.
I got a tube of it yesterday. Waste of $20. I had to stay home from work with my new frags that were stuck to my hands instead of the rock work today....jk I went to work with them. :face-with-hand-over-mouth: The rest is true.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seatak is junk. Like @DanyL said it will only stick to your fingers.
I got a tube of it yesterday. Waste of $20. I had to stay home from work with my new frags that were stuck to my hands instead of the rock work today....jk I went to work with them. :face-with-hand-over-mouth: The rest is true.
Yep...got fooled on a demo at Reefpalooza 2 years ago and bought some.....what a scam! That stuff is the WOAT!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back