Pyramid Butterfly help

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased several wrasses, a 2 spot tang & a pyramid butterfly 4 weeks ago. They have been in QT and yesterday I noticed the pyramid seemed to have small white dots on him. He wasn't swimming erratically and was still eating, so I thought maybe it was just the blue lighting. Well this morning he is worse, under blueish lighting, kind of white patches on his face & one of his fins appears to be frayed and "rotting" on the edges. Now my little tang appears to be bothered as well... no signs, but he isn't himself.

Is this velvet? I've never had velvet before, not sure what to look for. Fungus? Bacterial?

PB.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Very tough photo to work with. Can we get a side view showing the spots?

OP
OP
B

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, not the white splotches on his face. The white spots seem to have gone away, they weren't very many and have seemed to have turned into the white patches. He didn't have any on his body, that I could see.

APB2.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
would it be better to use both, like to alternate? I can go get some metro today
use your sulfaplex. monitor for 24-48 hrs for improvement. If none, do water change and switch to metro. REMEMBER to remove Carbon if any

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upon closer look his front lip seems to be affected as well. Will that grow back?
It may or be deformed but as long as it eats, will be ok. And during treatment, add vitamins such as selcon to its' food as well as garlic extract.

Robb1414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar with mine during QT...I treated with Prazi and it was gone after the second dose. I left him in QT for two additional weeks and they never came back. He has been in my DT for two weeks now and still nothing - fingers and toes crossed! GOOD LUCK!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That almost looks and sounds like brook to me. I’d do a freshwater dip in a dark bucket and look for “sesame seeds” to rule out flukes. Is the fish breathing heavily? Hiding from light? Flashing or scratching?

It could also be severe velvet.

Fungus is very uncommon in marine fish and I do not think it is the culprit. Metroplex will treat brook I think you’ve already used that, 14 days should clear brook up.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also be severe velvet.

I'm leaning that way as well. Possibly with superimposed bacterial infection. This gives fish with velvet a "patchy" appearance when a secondary bacterial infection takes hold. I could be wrong, of course. It could be brook or flukes or something else entirely.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning that way as well. Possibly with superimposed bacterial infection. This gives fish with velvet a "patchy" appearance when a secondary bacterial infection takes hold. I could be wrong, of course. It could be brook or flukes or something else entirely.
I don’t think it’s flukes but the dip would rule it out and provide some relief for either. :)

OP
OP
B

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can velvet hide that long in QT... I've had them for almost 4 weeks... what about brook?

Can I dose prazi now after Sulfa? Is it ok with the wrasses?

OP
OP
B

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well whatever it was it was deadly.... P B was a goner this morning. Upon closer inspection, I couldn't see much on his skin, still a little patchy, but both pectoral fins were almost gone, just shredded to nothing. I don't have anything in the tank that would do this, so it had to be the disease or whatever it was.

Haven't seen my 2 spot tang yet today, he may be a goner as well. All 3 wrasses are fine.

Thoughts??

OP
OP
B

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It got the little tang too. But I didn't notice any real signs on him, no fin issues and never did see spots or patchyness. I'm at a loss as to what could kill them this fast, but yet not affect my 3 wrasses at all.

Adventures In Reefing

Semper Fidelis
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issues when I first got my Pyramids. I treated them for 14 days and they both got better. Have been super healthy for about a year now. Best of luck to you! they are great fish big time jumpers though so be careful!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon closer look his front lip seems to be affected as well. Will that grow back?

Pyramids are susceptible to bacterial infections, often mouth infections, so some kind of antibiotic treatment in QT is beneficial. I have a bunch of them (including Zoster) and used nitrofuracin green powder in QT for all of them.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 46 25.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 44 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back