Q about plumbing laundry sink for fish room

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am installing a laundry sink for the workroom behind my in-wall tank and wanted to know if there is some special kind of trap I should install. In previous reef tank setups I've had problems resulting from sand ending up in my house's plumbing system, probably from my emptying buckets of water into the sink where there is some sand in the bucket. Over time, the sand piles up and clogs the pipes.

Is there a kind of trap with a removable section that makes it easy to clean out the trap?

Thanks in advance.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a trap with a clean out plug but a p trap is easy to drop into a bucket. Just unscrew the collars at the tail and J piece.
black-abs-fittings-c5884hd112-64_1000.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All sinks should use a P trap ….. probably won't do much to prevent sand moving through though. i built a settling trap into the slop sink in my last fish room. It was basically just a pair of 3" elbows formed into a U in place of the P trap to allow any heavy particulates to settle out and not get swept into the house pipes. Don't really know how well it worked though. In my current fish room, the slop sink drains into a little giant tub pump because the sink is below the septic system. Pump pressure ensures nothing settles in the pipes.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 57 44.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back