QT dilemma

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I purchased this Emperor back on January 9th and placed it in my QT only to discover that she has ich. Have had her in full strength cupramine treatment (.50) for 15 days now. All of the spots are gone except for 2 on the tail which looks to be lympho. There is a bit of fin rot for which has appeared where the trophonts formerly were and she has developed Popeye in one eye, but I hesitate to mix medications (antibiotics with copper). The tank is well cycled, she eats like a pig and appears otherwise healthy. She’s sharing the 29 gallon QT with a melanurus wrasse who has never shown signs and is also doing well. My knee jerk reaction is to put them in the DT, but with the ich I hate to put them in prematurely and would rather wait until the 30 day mark of copper treatment. Thoughts on adding antibiotics? Or hold my breathe and get them in the DT. Pics to follow.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F48EFA4F-C263-4496-B919-0F4F830A4DD7.png

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erythromycin is what I am familiar with I have never used the other you mentioned. I probably would go with both a gram neg and point of sale just in case for further secondary infections.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erythromycin is what I am familiar with I have never used the other you mentioned. I probably would go with both a gram neg and point of sale just in case for further secondary infections.
Thanks. I’ve read that Erythromycin does pretty well with copper.
I do feel bad for the wrasses who’s never shown any signs, but I have no choice now but to keep him along for the ride.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when just one eye is bulging, it's the result of an injury rather than a bacterial infection. You could consider dosing the tank with plain USP epsom salts 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of tank water. Can re dose one more time after a day or two.

You could also consider dosing the erythromycin in a 30 minute "bath" at twice the regular dosage.

Also I'd highly recommend adding Beta Glucan to the food. Food + Beta Glucan + Focus (binder). Info below. Highly recommend.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when just one eye is bulging, it's the result of an injury rather than a bacterial infection. You could consider dosing the tank with plain USP epsom salts 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of tank water. Can re dose one more time after a day or two.

You could also consider dosing the erythromycin in a 30 minute "bath" at twice the regular dosage.

Also I'd highly recommend adding Beta Glucan to the food. Food + Beta Glucan + Focus (binder). Info below. Highly recommend.

Thank you. Since posting, I made a trip to my LFS and picked up Maracyn 2. Thoughts on that, or would you suggest the Epsom salt first. She’s also has some fin rot going on.
I’m also considering placing the wrasse in the DT. He’s been in copper for almost 3 weeks and has never shown any signs of disease. I hate to nuke it with another med.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epsom salts are a very mild treatment that is harmless to your tank's biofilter.

Maracyn 2 is a wide spectrum antibiotic that was formulated for freshwater use. You have to double the dosage in saltwater. I've used both together Maracyn 1 (erythromycin) and Maracyn 2. Had really bad bio filter reaction in the QT.
Wrasses because of their thick mucous coats can be sneaky carriers of parasites. Before releasing into your DT, I'd place it in a fresh, sterile tank for two weeks and observe.

The fins on your fish don't look too bad. Remember antibiotics don't cure anything. They just give the fish's immune system time to recover and fight infections. That's why I mentioned the Beta Glucan. Same idea of antibiotics without the risks of using meds. Building a strong immune system in your fish is a long term, kinda boring, less glamorous path to travel. ;)

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epsom salts are a very mild treatment that is harmless to your tank's biofilter.

Maracyn 2 is a wide spectrum antibiotic that was formulated for freshwater use. You have to double the dosage in saltwater. I've used both together Maracyn 1 (erythromycin) and Maracyn 2. Had really bad bio filter reaction in the QT.
Wrasses because of their thick mucous coats can be sneaky carriers of parasites. Before releasing into your DT, I'd place it in a fresh, sterile tank for two weeks and observe.

The fins on your fish don't look too bad. Remember antibiotics don't cure anything. They just give the fish's immune system time to recover and fight infections. That's why I mentioned the Beta Glucan. Same idea of antibiotics without the risks of using meds. Building a strong immune system in your fish is a long term, kinda boring, less glamorous path to travel. ;)
You know what, I like this advise. I’m over halfway there with the copper treatment, both fish are eating like crazy and very active.
Epson salt it is. Planning on returning the Maracyn and it I have to treat with antibiotics, perhaps erythromycin like you stated. Will also look at the product you suggested.
thank you!!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furan 2, Kanaplex are much better wide spectrum antibiotics to have on hand than Maracyn2 and cheaper to use. NFG powder and Cipro are tops on my list. NFG powder works wonders, especially on "slab sided" fish like butterflies, tangs, big angels.
But erythromycin is the best for bacterial infections of the eyes.

Best of luck with your beautiful fish. But be warned, healthy fish can be boring. LOL :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of your help. She is a beautiful fish and will be the “showpiece” of my tank.
had a maculosus for many years in a previous tank, was a wonderful fish.
it’s tough to get back in the saddle after a decade out of the hobby. The one thing I’m doing different this time is QT FIRST for all fish. That was a hard lesson to learn years ago. Thanks again and here’s my current project in case anyone is interested :)
1B3E3592-15E5-4F9C-91F5-C3595E259019.jpeg

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No improvement today, in fact the eye looked worse this morning despite the epson salt.
planning on starting erythromycin when I get home later. Question. Will it be ok to add with the epson salt and the copper? Or should I do a water change first.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epsom salts just raises the mag level in the tank a very small amount. No need to do a water change. But remember erythromycin can be very harsh on the bio filter of a tank. Nothing wrong with a nice water change to keep the water quality as good as possible.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see water quality hasn’t been an issue, but I’ll have water on standby. She’s flashing quite a bit. Concerned that she’ll hurt the other eye.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 59 42.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 65 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back