QT dilemma

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the copper in the water bothers the fish's skin. It can make them want to scratch their skin.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started cupramine on Jan 13, but dosed slowing. Been at therapeutic level since the 20th. Perhaps discontinue copper?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some treat for 14 days and then remove the fish into a fresh, sterile QT and then observe for at least 14 days.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well another QT tank isn’t an option. I’ll have to run cuprasorb to get the copper out, do a water change and run antibiotics.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is to abruptly place the fish into a completely copperless environment to see if the parasites rapidly pop back up. Slowly removing the copper "can" result in the appearance of healthy fish, but, if not all of the parasites have been killed off through their life cycle, they can come roaring back, often without warning. Kinda like what happens when people buy fish from the LFS that has been keeping the fish in subtherapeutic levels of copper. They bring the fish home looking great, and then in 10 days or so, the parasites come roaring back.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. What do you suggest then. Keep copper running and add antibiotics for her current problem?
I’m not comfortable cutting the treatment short either, but she’s having issues. Flashing quite a bit and hanging out in the bubbles.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a powerhead that's aimed up at the surface of the water where it is actively rippling the water's surface?

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a sponge bubble filter. I do have A HOB standing by too.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
344C13DD-5D34-4239-A178-2536B37BCFB1.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small powerhead aimed up at the surface greatly increases the O2 exchange within the aquarium. Greatly. ;)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my QTs, I run a bubble filter, a powerhead, and a HOB. With the foam pads from both the bubble filter and HOB having soaked in my DT's sump for at least a month (or they were soaked with Seachem's Stability or BioSpira over night before use). Also have a mesh bag with Fluval BioMax in the HOB that also was soaking in the sump. I very seldom have to do water changes because of this and the fish have plenty of filtration and O2.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ve actually put in about 5 lbs of LR along with the bubble filter after soaking in my sump for a while. Cycling in my QT hasn’t been an issue, however I do monitor my copper closely as I know the rock will absorb some of it.
for the next round of fish I empty, toss the rock and start anew with a seeded sponge again. Will add a small powerhead the next time.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ve actually put in about 5 lbs of LR along with the bubble filter after soaking in my sump for a while. Cycling in my QT hasn’t been an issue, however I do monitor my copper closely as I know the rock will absorb some of it.
for the next round of fish I empty, toss the rock and start anew with a seeded sponge again. Will add a small powerhead the next time.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I added Erythromycin a couple of hours ago. She came out to eat, but then retreated to the bubbles in the corner once again. I’ll leave her be overnight to see if she improves.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Eye looks a “little” better today. She’s still hanging out in the corner by the filter bubbles. Plan on second dose of Erythromycin per instructions later today, give it another 24 hours then do a 25% water change. Ammonia badge still looks good.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome news. Best of luck with your beautiful fish! Keep in mind that antibiotics work v-e-r-y slowly on fish. 10-14 days of treatment period. ;)

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and added a HOB filter as you suggested to improve gas exchange.
I supposed I should keep the copper level on par too. Thanks for all of your help!!

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for anyone needing this information in the future. After 3 days the eye is 90% cleared up. Plan to finish the treatment and getting her in the DT.
C53A4776-D63A-4E87-BD90-57EB35B9F36A.jpeg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 45.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 25 29.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back