QT - Fenbendazole (brand name Panacur) instead of PraziPro?

Frank61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just starting a reef tank and a qt tank. I can't find any PraziPro in Canada but I have successfully used Panacur to treat an infestation of Planaria in a freshwater shrimp tank. Can Panacur be used instead of PraziPro for quarantine and, if so, at what dose/regimine? Thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm just starting a reef tank and a qt tank. I can't find any PraziPro in Canada but I have successfully used Panacur to treat an infestation of Planaria in a freshwater shrimp tank. Can Panacur be used instead of PraziPro for quarantine and, if so, at what dose/regimine? Thanks.
I would use marine specific treatment. I’m not sure what is offered in Canada and abroad

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'm a bit "down" on using Fenbendazole as a static bath. It works well when dosed properly in food (25 mg per kg of fish body weight in food daily for three days). However, when I've dosed it in water, even as low as 2ppm, I've seen terrible toxic reactions in some species.

While the species are limited, and most seem to do just fine, you just don't know which ones might be affected. I've lost 100% of flashlight fish and darters dosing them like this. Other people have reported adverse reactions with tetras and catfish. The mortality starts a day or so after treatment and cannot be stopped, even by moving the fish to a new tank.

One hypothesis is that the the panacur kills encysted worms very well and the fish died from toxic shock due to the dead worms.

One benefit of panacur is that if covers a wider variety of worms species than praziquantel does.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One problem with it Is it does not dissolve well in water - and especially saltwater. Which is why it's much easier to dose in food - if you can find the protocol - and can make sure that you are dosing all the fish. Curious - is this an actual infection - or are you just doing prophylactic QT? I believe there is a liquid form of Panacur which might dissolve better - but I would not count on it.

My guess is that you can get Praziquantel (it's a prescription medication) - if you speak to a veterinarian. It is certainly available in Canada - I can order it from Canada shipped to the US. @jay hemal can perhaps better talk about the dosing of 'oral' (i.e. for humans) - rather than the fish version Prazipro

OP
OP
F

Frank61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One problem with it Is it does not dissolve well in water - and especially saltwater. Which is why it's much easier to dose in food - if you can find the protocol - and can make sure that you are dosing all the fish. Curious - is this an actual infection - or are you just doing prophylactic QT? I believe there is a liquid form of Panacur which might dissolve better - but I would not count on it.

My guess is that you can get Praziquantel (it's a prescription medication) - if you speak to a veterinarian. It is certainly available in Canada - I can order it from Canada shipped to the US. @jay hemal can perhaps better talk about the dosing of 'oral' (i.e. for humans) - rather than the fish version Prazipro
Thanks for your response. I am planning for a prophylactic QT, not an active infection (my reef is curing in a bin as I type). Where do you order it from?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for your response. I am planning for a prophylactic QT, not an active infection (my reef is curing in a bin as I type). Where do you order it from?
Sorry - you can get a prescription from a veterinarian

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry I might have not understood what you meant. You might be able to order it online. Just search for Praziquantel. You need to be careful because the oral dose contains some filler. So depending on what you find available, the dose might be different.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back