QT Filter Sponge Absorb Copper?

hilde123

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2025
Messages
47
Reaction score
9
Location
Orlando
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a filter sponge used in a QT tank with copper for fish treatment absorb copper? When I break down QT I usually clean sponge in sink then leave to dry. When I plan to setup QT I put sponge filter in my tank for a few weeks to seed it with bacteria before setting up QT tank. This is the first time I've put copper in my QT so I'm concerned that my normal process of cleaning, drying, then putting sponge back in my DT could result in leaching copper. Is this a concern or do the sponges not absorb copper like live rock does?
 
While it's possible to properly clean and re-use the sponge I always put a new sponge in my display tank sump to be used for the next time I QT and I throw out the sponge I used in the copper QT. They're cheap, why risk it?
 
Personally, I wouldn't risk the copper getting back into your DT; I would pitch the sponge and get a new one going.

I like to use plastic kitchen pot scrubbies that I get inexpensively from my local dollar store for biomedia. These are cheap enough that I don't even bother to reuse them after copper.

e2adbb80-ee24-470d-9b74-a13b90ec3487.2f1a5b81259144c1fcdd52b5441d1f0b.png
 
Will a filter sponge used in a QT tank with copper for fish treatment absorb copper? When I break down QT I usually clean sponge in sink then leave to dry. When I plan to setup QT I put sponge filter in my tank for a few weeks to seed it with bacteria before setting up QT tank. This is the first time I've put copper in my QT so I'm concerned that my normal process of cleaning, drying, then putting sponge back in my DT could result in leaching copper. Is this a concern or do the sponges not absorb copper like live rock does?
Give it as good a rinse as you can in clean water. Then an overnight soak in a mild 1:10 bleach solution should eliminate any potential issues. Rise well and air dry for at least 24 hours.

Seawater is not copper free to begin with, so IMO no worries there.
 
Copper is a micro nutrient, along with zinc.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dosing-macroalgae.1075279/

“The minor nutrients marine plants need to grow are: iron, manganese, copper, zinc & molybdenum, boron, iodine, bromine. These nutrients are normally needed in very small amounts so are often referred to as "trace elements" . Most commercially available salt mixes contain all of the minor nutrients needed for marine plant growth, so they are generally replenished by regular water changes.”
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new