Qt glass broke

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went out with my wife tonight for a couple hours. Before I left I did a 50 percent water change on my quarantine tank that was housing my 2 clowns. I come back and go downstairs to check on them and the floor is covered in water (cement floor in back room - thankfully). The bottom of the glass had a huge crack in it. There was only about an inch of water left and my poor clownfish were pretty much laying on the side of the glass trying to breathe.

That was my only tank outside my 29 gallon cycled tank. All stores are closed this late. I have a 2 gallon bucket that I use for water changes but felt it was too small to put my already stressed clowns in for the night. I didn’t have any big plastic bins on hand either. I ended up having to put them in my DT. I did a quick dip to rinse off any meds that may have been left in them and put them in my main tank. Fingers crossed that they don’t have anything.

The fish seem to be alright at this time. When I first put them in they just went to the bottom and sat still. I was a little worried but slowly they started swimming around.

I am a little mad about the entire situation but I didn’t want to lose the fish. If they get sick I will just pull them and put them in a new quarantine and go fishless for a few months on my main tank. It is kind of a bummer but I didn’t want them to die.

Lesson learned...... have a few tanks in case something goes wrong with your qt/hospital tank.

Well now I am off to clean up the nice watery mess. Good times.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice save all the way around!

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am happy to report both fish made it through the night. They both ate this morning and look good. However, the female has itches her face on the rock twice for just a second or two. At first I thought it was trying to get a piece of food but then it did It again in the same place 4 hours later. I don’t see anything on her and I’m hoping it is stress induced or just an itch and not ich or something worse. Time will tell I guess. She also likes to ride the current while the male just kinda hangs out in one section of the tank. She swims up to the outlet of the hob filter and gets pushed by the current to the power fan in the back and then rides that one down to the bottom and around the rocks. I will keep a close eye on her over the next few days. Neither of the fish are breathing hard or look bad. Both look pretty good actually considering how I found them.

Last edited:

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bucket would have been fine for a day or two until you could replace the tank. You just needed to provide to them in the bucket, everything you had in the tank.

All things considered, I think you will be okay.

Have you figured out how the bottom of the tank broke?

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure how it broke to be honest. It cracked somhow. Not sure if I was to hard on it when removing and filling with water.

I went to the store and have 2 10 gallon tanks with hob filters, heaters and air pumps. I will now be good to go for a backup plus I can start ttm quarantine now.

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way for bottom glass to break suddenly like that is an uneven stand or something was under the trim on the stand and caused a pressure point

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back