QT in the UK

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't really like the original plan, personally. I would use Copper Power or Coppersafe over ionic copper (Cupramine). Copper for 14 days, then removing copper while keeping the fish in the same tank is a bad idea, in my opinion of course.

For ich in display tank, all fish need removed and treated while the display remains fishless. Inverts, including corals stay in the display.

For adding new coral frags, if you want to QT them, I would suggest to just to have a fishless coral holding tank. Leave them in there for a few weeks.
As Jay said - why not just do the copper for the 30 days? Just curious.

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be going fallow for 76 days in my DT once I add this BTA and mushroom later tonight.

Fish being QTd in separate tank with coppersafe for 30 days.

Was just curious about coral. I've since read, here in the UK, people use dettol (0.5ml per ltr of tank water) for a 5 minute coral dip. Haven't tried it yet but going to test it tonight on the BTA and mushroom. Then add to DT after a further rinse in some 'clean' DT water. Then restart my 76 day fallow period (only a day or so in anyway).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just curious about coral. I've since read, here in the UK, people use dettol (0.5ml per ltr of tank water) for a 5 minute coral dip. Haven't tried it yet but going to test it tonight on the BTA and mushroom. Then add to DT after a further rinse in some 'clean' DT water. Then restart my 76 day fallow period (only a day or so in anyway).
Generally, dips used on corals are more for coral pests and don't do anything for diseases like ich. If you wanted to be 100%, you would keep anything added to your tank that's wet in a separate fishless tank for several weeks.

That being said, cutting a frag off the plug and rinsing with fresh saltwater before adding it to your tank has some risk, but probably is unlikely to transfer fish disease on coral flesh.

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, dips used on corals are more for coral pests and don't do anything for diseases like ich. If you wanted to be 100%, you would keep anything added to your tank that's wet in a separate fishless tank for several weeks.

That being said, cutting a frag off the plug and rinsing with fresh saltwater before adding it to your tank has some risk, but probably is unlikely to transfer fish disease on coral flesh.
It is coral pests I'm concerned about as they are going into my DT which is and will be fishless for a while.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone in the UK reading this Praziquantel is available in the UK in liquid form. Sera med Pro Tremazol (praziqauntel 7.4% w/v) in the UK at around £10 for 25ml.

Please DO NOT import API General Cure, it contains an antibiotic used in human medicine (Metronidazole). It is illegal to obtain without a prescription and as it is a controlled substance it is also an offence to import.

In Europe and many other countries around the world, misuse of antibiotics, such as incorrect protocol and dosage, including prophylactic treatment is at best naïve at worst reckless.

We need these medicines, we need to use them wisely before they become obsolete due to resistance.

The USA has its own set of standards, we have ours.

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone in the UK reading this Praziquantel is available in the UK in liquid form. Sera med Pro Tremazol (praziqauntel 7.4% w/v) in the UK at around £10 for 25ml.

Please DO NOT import API General Cure, it contains an antibiotic used in human medicine (Metronidazole). It is illegal to obtain without a prescription and as it is a controlled substance it is also an offence to import.

In Europe and many other countries around the world, misuse of antibiotics, such as incorrect protocol and dosage, including prophylactic treatment is at best naïve at worst reckless.

We need these medicines, we need to use them wisely before they become obsolete due to resistance.

The USA has its own set of standards, we have ours.
Sera med Pro Tremazol... great thanks!! Needed a wormer so this will do the job! I wonder would it clear my DT of acoel flatworms too? Not overly concerned about them but they've made an appearance over the last 2 days on the tank glass.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sera med Pro Tremazol... great thanks!! Needed a wormer so this will do the job! I wonder would it clear my DT of acoel flatworms too? Not overly concerned about them but they've made an appearance over the last 2 days on the tank glass.
I personally would not use praziquantel in a DT, I would either use as a bath or in a QT tank.

Praziquantel medicine in liquid form may create a bacterial bloom, it could also possibly reduce oxygen levels.

It may also break down quicker the more organics in the water so for effective dosage I recommend a QT tank with less organics.

Levamisole was described as a treatment for flatworms, although it is a controlled drug, it has been suggested that it may be found in some aquarium flatworm medicines such as Flatworm Exit and a reason for its removal from the UK market. Flatworm RX is available in the UK although I don't know the active ingredient or its efficacy.

Please don't try to import large amounts, its often used to cut certain drugs like cocaine. So you may get a knock on the door from my ex colleagues. :)

Ask Jay Hemdel on this forum for more professional advice.

PS Fenbendazole (dog de wormer) has also been reported as effective against aquarium flatworms.

Here is a link to a good article on this forum. https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/flatworms-the-good-the-bad-and-the-pretty-terrifying-part-1.530/

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 54 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back