QT in the UK

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently set up a 50g as a replacement for my Fluval Evo 13.5. will be moving my fish, rock, coral etc over soon and then using my Evo as a QT tank for the new fish i plan to buy.

I've been reading all night about QT protocol (as i didn't really bother with my first 2 fish) and I'm becoming very confused!

Also as I live in the UK most of the treatments mentioned aren't readily available! Because of this I've had to come up with my own sort of hybrid QT based on the many variants I've read about and the medications I can source....

Can someone tell me if this below plan looks like a decent and robust approach?

1. Acclimate the fish, add them to the QT, bare bottom, PVC pipe for hiding, seeded media from DT but no rock.

2. Observe the fish for 48 hours, feed lightly.

3. Use Seachem Cupramine as per instructions. Dose 1ml per 40l, wait 48 hours, dose 1ml per 40l leaving the resultant dose as 0.5mg/l. Maintain this level for 14 days.

4. Large water changes over a few days to remove cupramine.

5. Dose API General Cure one full sachet per 38l of water. Dose again after 48 hours. Wait a further 48 hours then complete 25% water change and add activated carbon.

6. Observe fish for a further 7 days

Total time in QT (all being well): 31 days....

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also read about the 36 hour TTM. Depending on what sort of things they might come in with this might be all you need. I find this with a dose of Prazi Pro day 7 and day 13 works for me.
Works for the 2 common things, velvet and ich. The prazi works for worms and flukes.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently set up a 50g as a replacement for my Fluval Evo 13.5. will be moving my fish, rock, coral etc over soon and then using my Evo as a QT tank for the new fish i plan to buy.

I've been reading all night about QT protocol (as i didn't really bother with my first 2 fish) and I'm becoming very confused!

Also as I live in the UK most of the treatments mentioned aren't readily available! Because of this I've had to come up with my own sort of hybrid QT based on the many variants I've read about and the medications I can source....

1. Acclimate the fish, add them to the QT, bare bottom, PVC pipe for hiding, seeded media from DT but no rock.

3. Use Seachem Cupramine as per instructions. Dose 1ml per 40l, wait 48 hours, dose 1ml per 40l leaving the resultant dose as 0.5mg/l. Maintain this level for 14 days.

5. Dose API General Cure one full sachet per 38l of water. Dose again after 48 hours. Wait a further 48 hours then complete 25% water change and add activated carbon.

We have the same situation with medications in Australia.

I normally just use the QT for observation, and do not medicate unless something shows up.

No need to stress the fish unnecessarily with meds especially not copper based.

OP
OP
Y

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also read about the 36 hour TTM. Depending on what sort of things they might come in with this might be all you need. I find this with a dose of Prazi Pro day 7 and day 13 works for me.
Works for the 2 common things, velvet and ich. The prazi works for worms and flukes.
Prazi is one of the things I can't get.... I bought some general cure from the USA a few months back for a fish which unfortunately died before it arrived. So I was thinking of using this as i have it in my cupboard already!

Can you send me some info on the TTM? Haven't read about that yet.

OP
OP
Y

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the same situation with medications in Australia.

I normally just use the QT for observation, and do not medicate unless something shows up.

No need to stress the fish unnecessarily with meds especially not copper based.
I thought of this also. Just wanted to be sure I was doing the best i could.

I suppose i could observe and then treat if needed. I can get cupramine off the shelf in the UK but can't get prazi or metro which always seems to be part of the QT procedure... But if i have general cure and can get cupramine quickly enough then i should be ok for whatever may show up...

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General cure should be about the same thing for flukes

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hint:
When buying fish from your LFS; find out what day the fish come in. Have them order your fish. Be there when they arrive so you get them before they go into their tanks.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hint:
When buying fish from your LFS; find out what day the fish come in. Have them order your fish. Be there when they arrive so you get them before they go into their tanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I know you are very limited to meds and copper seems to be the most you can get. With your steps mentioned, because its quarantine, you can run copper at low level and monitor ammonia in QT
Observe fish for dots, scratching, etc
Should you see any, you will have to then increase copper to therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 for 30 days. You must monitor levels with a reliable test kit for accuracy (No API brand).

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of this also. Just wanted to be sure I was doing the best i could.

I suppose i could observe and then treat if needed. I can get cupramine off the shelf in the UK but can't get prazi or metro which always seems to be part of the QT procedure... But if i have general cure and can get cupramine quickly enough then i should be ok for whatever may show up...
We can't get Cupramine or Priazi from an LFS. Well, Amazon gets usually gets through ;)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's similar in intent to our current quarantine protocol, just sped up. You need to ask yourself if the shorter quarantine time is that important? No protocol is 100% effective, but cutting down on the time makes it less effective.
Here is a link to the process that I use:

One thing I would change in your process - dosing API General Cure twice in 48 hours is too close together if the fish have egg laying flukes (the GC doesn't kill the eggs, and they can hatch out and reinfect the fish). It is better to dose once, then after 48 hours, do a 25% water change, and then do a second dose 7 days after that.

Jay

OP
OP
Y

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's similar in intent to our current quarantine protocol, just sped up. You need to ask yourself if the shorter quarantine time is that important? No protocol is 100% effective, but cutting down on the time makes it less effective.
Here is a link to the process that I use:

One thing I would change in your process - dosing API General Cure twice in 48 hours is too close together if the fish have egg laying flukes (the GC doesn't kill the eggs, and they can hatch out and reinfect the fish). It is better to dose once, then after 48 hours, do a 25% water change, and then do a second dose 7 days after that.

Jay
This is more what I was asking to be honest. Because I'm slightly changing the meds i wasn't sure of the timing. Those times I've stayed in the first post were taken from the directions of the cupramine and the general cure.

I'm in no rush and have no need to speed the QT up, but wasn't sure if i should stick to the longer times or stick to what the manufacturer of each product recommends....

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UK here too so thanks for the post! I know this is an old post but thought best to comment here, keep it all in one place for the next person.

Working out my QT protocol at present too (ich in DT).

Was wondering if anyone can add to this to include QT for coral frags? Separate to the fish of course, planned on doing them in QT tank before I begin coppersafe treatment.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
UK here too so thanks for the post! I know this is an old post but thought best to comment here, keep it all in one place for the next person.

Was wondering if anyone can add to this to include QT for coral frags? Separate to the fish of course, planned on doing them in QT tank before I begin coppersafe treatment.
#fishmedic

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't really like the original plan, personally. I would use Copper Power or Coppersafe over ionic copper (Cupramine). Copper for 14 days, then removing copper while keeping the fish in the same tank is a bad idea, in my opinion of course.

For ich in display tank, all fish need removed and treated while the display remains fishless. Inverts, including corals stay in the display.

For adding new coral frags, if you want to QT them, I would suggest to just to have a fishless coral holding tank. Leave them in there for a few weeks.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 111 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back