QT of Blue/Green Reef Chromis

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening,

Purchased 11 Blue/Green Reef Chromis and put into QT tank which matched salinity of store. All appeared healthy so I didn’t medicate right off the bat.

1 day after being in QT tank I noticed red slash marks on a couple and then decided to hit them with Fritz Coppersafe. They started to die at that point one by one over the next 2-3 days. I eventually started using Metroplex and Focus. I now have 2 left and am on day 7.

TWO QUESTIONS:

1.) Do I abandon ship on these two and start fresh with sterilized QT tank?
2.) Should I medicate with Copper & feed metroplex & focus before Blue/Green Reef Chromis show sickness?

F94314EC-1B1C-4BA1-9205-E0EE07340AA9.png

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the response @Humblefish !! Can I put 11 total in a 30 gallon QT? Or is that to small of a tank for QT. Display tank is 131 gallon display with 40 gallon sump.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the response @Humblefish !! Can I put 11 total in a 30 gallon QT? Or is that to small of a tank for QT. Display tank is 131 gallon display with 40 gallon sump.

11 in a 30 gal QT is fine, provided you have a working biofilter.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I put large sponge from DT that sits in sump for 3 months & then hang on the back filter and remove carbon and add filter floss.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is yours a 'medical' issue, or are they killing each other off that fast through aggression? I once put about 10 Yellow Tail Damsels in a 6' long tank with lots of rock work. They were picking each other off like flies until there were just 2 left-- which remain to this day. (Although Chromis are supposedly more peaceful, no?) Anyway, anyone in @Humblefish 's hands will do well. ;)

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JumboShrimp I actually thought that was part of the issue because the 2 still alive in QT are the largest left. I’m wondering if I put a more aggressive fish in the QT with them if they would school better showing less aggression.

I have researched this issue a lot and it sounds like the killing 1 after the other is fairly common.

@JumboShrimp @Humblefish Any ideas on if adding a more aggressive fish to QT would help?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish[/USER] Any ideas on if adding a more aggressive fish to QT would help?

Actually adding a "boss fish" does help curb aggression with both chromis and anthias. I like using a Powder Blue Tang or some other active, more aggressive fish. What happens is they become more fixated on the boss fish than quarreling amongst each other. Safety in numbers?? ;)

@Humblefish Where do you buy Formalin? Can’t find it anywhere when searching online.

Dose accordingly:

When using 37% formaldehyde dosages are as follows for marine environments above 70°F (otherwise follow directions on the product’s label):
1) In-tank treatment: 1 milliliter (ml) per 10 gallons, or 2 drops per gallon daily in a bare aquarium.
2) 30-45 minute bath treatment: 0.6 ml per gallon, or 12 drops per gallon. Aerate vigorously and treat at this concentration for no more than 45 minutes.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have doubts as to whether it would help to break up the 'pack mentality'... I had loads of bigger more agressive fish in my tank when the Yellow Tail Damsels started picking each other off.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have doubts as to whether it would help to break up the 'pack mentality'... I had loads of bigger more agressive fish in my tank when the Yellow Tail Damsels started picking each other off.

Very different fish. Yellow Tails are much more aggressive than chromis and don't typically shoal the way chromis do. At least not in an aquarium environment.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish Truly appreciate your help and time. This is my first reef tank so a lot of this is new to me. Been researching for a decade
and now I have a 131 gallon display with 40
Gallon sump. Fish disease hasn’t hit me yet since I QT, but these dang Reef Chromis are tricky.

I have the following fish in my display now:
• Magnificent Foxface
• 2 designer clownfish
• 1 Yellow Eye Kole Tang
• 2 Bimaculatus Anthias
• 1 Coral Beauty
• 1 Flame Angel

what more aggressive fish would you recommend I add to the QT with my next batch of Reef Chromis? @Humblefish

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 48 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back