QT of parrot fish

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi anyone have experience with QT of parrot fish? . Because of their specific needs they may be more difficult to QT? Any ideas? Thanks

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Found this thread have no first hand experience to share on parrot fish.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no trouble QT'ing my Parrot Fish. I did TTM followed by about 4-5 weeks in a cycled QT where I fattened him up and got him acclimated to captive life and foods.

The problem with parrot fish (at least Quoyi) IME is not getting them through QT but them stopping eating and wasting away after 6 months to a year.

OP
OP
T

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, going to try one again! had one years ago that lived about 8 months! But did not QT back then!!! Hoping for the best. Hoping to wipe out any internal parasites cause i think thats what happens to them.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m unconvinced the problem with this fish is internal parasites. I’m zero for two. In both cases, got them through QT but both died after 6-7 months. I think success with this fish is likely a large tank with a lot of grazing surfaces and not a lot of other aggressive feeders.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a quoyi about a year ago, still going strong. Initially, it was a difficult fish to get to eat, at first would only eat algae pellets and algae wafers, now it eats everything including nori... generally a very shy fish despite its size, id recommend quarantining alone, don’t start any treatment until you make sure it’s eating. Make sure it has enough room to hide (large enough pvc pipe will work). Dim the lights on your QT, I’ve noticed they get a bit startled.

I quarantined 6-7 at this point and they don’t seem to mind chelated copper but did become lethargic just around the 2 week mark, best to do a tank transfer after2wks.

OP
OP
T

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, i am hoping either Quickcure or prazipro will wipe out any internal parasites. Any suggestions?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish has a recent post on not feeding praziquantel due to irritating the intestine I believe. I would stick with just feeding metro.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m unconvinced the problem with this fish is internal parasites. I’m zero for two. In both cases, got them through QT but both died after 6-7 months. I think success with this fish is likely a large tank with a lot of grazing surfaces and not a lot of other aggressive feeders.

What's weird is I treated both of mine for internal parasites and for 6 months they competed aggressively and well with all my wrasses. Then they started eating only smaller and smaller food particles and withered away over a few more months. I would so love to have one as both of mine were personable and beyond beautiful. Anxious to see how this goes for the OP. @EmdeReef keep us informed how yours is doing. You're rekindling my itch for one!

OP
OP
T

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well, acclimation went ok but he does not like the bare bottom QT and he did not eat!! Did your guys eat the first day? Might have to change things around in tank. Thanks

MyTankSux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a princess parrot years ago. thing was a champ eater, but as the name indicates it was a princess. It got bullied by my other fish and I had to get rid of it. Mine basically started eating right away. They will take small chunks of rock off while eating and basically poop sand. Any specific questions I can help you with?

1934759_119545403749_2429933_n.jpg 1934759_119565838749_5858751_n - Copy.jpg

OP
OP
T

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , do you think he will get used to the bare bottom tank? Because he is not liking it!!!

MyTankSux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is my opinion. You need to have tons of algae for them to graze on all day. I had mine eating pellets and frozen stuff also (not 100% sure on the frozen it was about 15 years ago). I used to leave the who back wall of my tank with algae on it for the parrot and my tangs at the time. Parrots produce a ton of thick mucus to sleep in at night and they are less prone to external parasites. I would try to get the fish into its final location asap if you feel it is free from internal parasites such as worms. before introducing it to the dt i would do a fw dip, and try to feed it something soaked in dewormer (prazi, fenbendazole)

OP
OP
T

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an idea!! Never had much luck feeling praziquantel powder or liquid on food even with focus and garlic extreme. Could dose water but that would mean keeping him in QT for almost 2 weeks. Gotta get him to eat!!!

MyTankSux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've force fed fish before. Just catch them in a net and use an appropriate sized eye dropper to GENTLY force food down their throat.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back