QT Prazi dosing question

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have 3 new fish in a QT together. (2 small clowns and a firefish) the firefish I believe had worms, was flashing.
I dosed Prazi last week Wednesday and the flashing stopped. It started again today though.
Question is, today is day 7, I did a water change yesterday in preparation for the second dose which is supposed to be tomorrow on day 8.
Should I be dosing the second dose today because it’s flashing which I assume means eggs hatched. Or should I wait until tomorrow which is the ideal day just in case there are more eggs that may hatch over the next 24 hours?
I know prazi works for 3 days, but it’s most effective the first day so I want to insure I got all the baby worms.

(I’m running Cupramine With prazi. Basing off what I’ve heard here from Jay Hemdal and others it shouldn’t be a problem. And everyone’s been happy.
Running heavy oxygen in the tank)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,
I have 3 new fish in a QT together. (2 small clowns and a firefish) the firefish I believe had worms, was flashing.
I dosed Prazi last week Wednesday and the flashing stopped. It started again today though.
Question is, today is day 7, I did a water change yesterday in preparation for the second dose which is supposed to be tomorrow on day 8.
Should I be dosing the second dose today because it’s flashing which I assume means eggs hatched. Or should I wait until tomorrow which is the ideal day just in case there are more eggs that may hatch over the next 24 hours?
I know prazi works for 3 days, but it’s most effective the first day so I want to insure I got all the baby worms.

(I’m running Cupramine With prazi. Basing off what I’ve heard here from Jay Hemdal and others it shouldn’t be a problem. And everyone’s been happy.
Assuming the flashing is 'worms' - not exactly sure what you mean by that - however, I would follow the protocol

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

You may end up needing to dose the prazi three times. Prazi doesn't kill the fluke eggs. What you are trying to do is to kill the flukes before they mature to the point of being able to lay another batch of eggs. The timing on that is not an exact science, and depends on the species of fluke, the water temperature, and probably some other factors. The scratching you saw on day 6/7 were probably from flukes that hatched from eggs that were deposited prior to the first dose of prazi.

Jay

OP
OP
A

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may end up needing to dose the prazi three times. Prazi doesn't kill the fluke eggs. What you are trying to do is to kill the flukes before they mature to the point of being able to lay another batch of eggs. The timing on that is not an exact science, and depends on the species of fluke, the water temperature, and probably some other factors. The scratching you saw on day 6/7 were probably from flukes that hatched from eggs that were deposited prior to the first dose of prazi.

Jay
Thanks so much Jay

So yes that’s what my thinking was..
But in that case should I redose right away as I see scratching? Or is it better to wait until tomorrow so hopefully all eggs would be hatched by then?

The temperature is 78, so on the warmer side, not sure if that speeds up hatching process though

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back