QT predicament

UffnerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some stuff I thought up. I'll probably add more later. Please list any useful tips you might have in the comments below!

Quarantine DOs and DON’Ts

The purpose of this article is to offer useful tips and point out common mistakes made during quarantine (QT).
  • DO quarantine for a minimum of 4 weeks; longer is always better (in most cases.)
While not really a “DO and DON’T”, it is my personal belief that a fish QT should be kept simple. I prefer small QTs that I can quickly break down, sanitize and then re-start as needed. In my experience, newly acquired fish seem to do better in QT if placed in an almost sterile environment using freshly mixed saltwater. And if you ever happen to experience some unknown “Typhoid Mary”-like disease which wipes out your entire QT; you’ll want to completely break down & sterilize that tank before ever using it again.

Hi there! I am in a bit of a predicament. I have three small fish in my 20gal QT (bought them on 11/28 and they have been in QT since). One of them broke out with what I believe was fin rot. I treated with two rounds of prazi pro and one round of KanaPlex. His tail has cleared up. Last treatment was on 12/30.

I have a fish in my DT that I would like to remove because he is not doing well and is being bullied. I would also like to remove the bully and rehome him if I can catch him.

I am hesitating because I think it may be too early to move the recently diseased (tail rot) new fish into my DT. If I were to move my three fish in QT to DT, I would think I should definitely disinfect (mild bleach solution) my QT before moving my bullied/health at risk fish in there. If I disinfect QT, then I will have no biological filtration for QT (I would need to toss my biowheel and small chunk of live rock because they could be carrying the fin rot). Once a fish has shown an illness and has been treated, how long do you wait to put in DT?

Any thoughts? My fish that is being harassed is my favorite and I'd hate to see him not make it.

Current QT:
20 gal bare bottom
various PVC fittings
some bio media (like bio balls)
a small glass of sand (current fish in QT need sand to burrow) this isn't normally in here
small piece of live rock
1 power head
1 HOB filter with bio wheel and filter floss. Sometimes run carbon after medicating
1 heater
1 glass top
1 basic light

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@UffnerReef How many consecutive days did you treat with Kanaplex? Does "one round" mean you only dosed the medication once?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed kanaplex 3 times (dosed every other day for up to 3 doses per box instructions).

I prefer 10 days of treatment (5 doses) to ensure the infection is knocked out. But you might be OK. If the tail rot is all gone and is still gone in 10 days then you should be all clear.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back